PDA

View Full Version : Brooklynella has entered my tank

Kanejr10
01/04/2017, 12:47 AM
Hello fellow reefers the topic explains my current situation.

I have a 75g Reef tank that has been running for just shy of 8 months. It was stocked with 2 clowns, 2 purple firefish, long nose hawk, kole tang, and red coris wrasse. The wrasse is the newest member of the tank but I believe the kole is who brought the disease in. I purchased the tang from my LFS and he was there for over a month and in my tank for over a month. I noticed something a little off about him last week but was unsure and tried to keep and eye on him but as the holidays set in I wasn't home very often. Today I pulled one of the clowns and attempted a freshwater dip as it was the only thing I could do. It was unsuccessful but the fish was in really bad shape he only survived for a few hours. I went looking for the tang and found him in his usual hiding spot dead, he was alive yesterday.

My main question is can the other species of fish get Brooklynella as all of them look 100% healthy. They go about their normal business and show no signs of anything. From what I read the tang, clowns and wrasse are susceptible. Do I need to attempt to pull the remaining firefish(2), longnose hawk into my hospital tank for treatment. Im going to do my best to pull the wrasse but I'm unsure how successful I will be.

Kanejr10
01/04/2017, 01:24 AM
My water parameters are:

pH - 8
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - close to 0
Mag - 1380
Calc - 460
Alk - 7.2
Salinity 1.026

scooter31707
01/04/2017, 08:28 AM
Yes, you have to assumed that your whole tank is infected with Brook. I would pull the fish out and start doing some Formalin dips/baths. I'm not quite sure what the fallow period is for Brook, if there is one. My good friend did not take a chance and tore his tank down and started over, bleaching everything.

scooter31707
01/04/2017, 08:31 AM
Here's some good reading.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388437

Kanejr10
01/04/2017, 08:54 AM
Ok I'll get them out asap gonna be fun trying to catch them thanks for the advice I hope I don't loose the rest.

ThRoewer
01/04/2017, 02:52 PM
What makes you think it is Brooklynella? Timeline would fit Amyloodinium if the store kept the tang in a system with low dose copper. The appearances of both can be similar with some fish.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Kanejr10
01/04/2017, 03:18 PM
The entire fish was covered in white what looked like peeling skin, and his tail fins were fraying. Which is what lead me to brook, the visible color was white not a gold or brownish color. When the clown passed I inspected him more closely his black colors were more of a grey and his orange was more of a dark peach color which I also thought was a sign of brook.

ThRoewer
01/05/2017, 03:19 PM
Yes, that sounds like Brooklynella. Formalin will be your best bet to treat it.
I give every new fish a formalin bath before they even go into the quarantine tank. Due to that I haven't seen Brooklynella in a long time (besides at LFS).
It's an easy measure and quite effective.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk