PDA

View Full Version : Could a large hermit crab eat a BTA?

alcimedes
01/04/2017, 08:21 AM
I had two good looking rose bubble tip anemone in my tank.

There are two fish in the tank, a mandarin and lawnmower blenny.

There are a few small crabs, maybe the size of a nickel, and one large hermit crab that I got from the person I got the live rock from initially. It had been living in his reef tank for many years, and he said it was 'safe.'

Yesterday, I could only see one of the anemone. I turned off the circulation pumps in the tank and just left the return pump going, so it wouldn't accidentally get chopped up while moving around.

I didn't think it was too big of a deal, I've seen them move before.

This morning, I went to check and see if it had found it's new location, and instead I find the giant hermit crab sitting in the location of where the other RBA was just yesterday.

Only now that RBA is gone as well.

I suppose they might still be hiding in the rock somewhere and will show up later, but for now I've moved the hermit to the sump.

I'd looked online before leaving him in the tank, and the bulk of what I read indicated hermits were safe with anemone, but I'm wondering now if that' always true.

This particular hermit is pretty good sized, with a 4" shell he's tooling around with.

The claws aren't very pointed, tan in color, and they're mostly rounded, and there are some hairs on the legs. Unfortunately I don't have a good picture.

Should the hermit stay in the sump?

crawlerman
01/04/2017, 09:28 AM
I have no idea what kind of hermit it is, but to me a 4" crab would not go in my reef. I would banish him to the sump.

Sk8r
01/04/2017, 04:54 PM
Way too big. My largest is about the size of your thumbnail. Likely the RBTA is in the rockwork. Any change in water flow can cause a nem to move. They'll be hunting for an advantageous spot where food comes, but so large and rowdy a competitor might have driven them into retreat.

alcimedes
01/04/2017, 05:56 PM
Cool, he's king of the sump now, and that's likely where he's going to stay.

alcimedes
01/09/2017, 11:42 AM
If anyone else is looking on these search terms down the line, I wanted to update and just let people know that after two days both anemone reappeared looking no worse for the wear. The hermit crab is still in the sump.

Sk8r
01/09/2017, 02:46 PM
Yay---I love good outcomes.