PDA

View Full Version : DIY stand help

buddhafish
01/04/2017, 07:24 PM
I am constructing a stand for a 48"x48"x19" acrylic tank, and have a few questions about where the tank would sit. Should I use a layer of foam between the tank and the wood? Is so, what type would be recommended. Are their any other recommendations as to keeping the structural integrity of the tank safe while seated on the stand?

buddhafish
01/04/2017, 07:30 PM
And a way to fully support the bottom. One solid peice of wood?? I have tried to watch videos, but maybe someone can put my mind at ease as the last thing I want to arrive home to is a cracked tank!

RobZilla04
01/04/2017, 07:40 PM
I've over engineered mine, but I'd rather have the piece of mind that the tank will be supported with the constant weight and fluctuations with flow. Here is my thread for reference. I did a lot of research here and found several threads and pictures that I printed out.

2x4's are the frame and supports. I did not place a buffer of foam or anything else between the stand and tank. I've seen foam used but once the tank has the full weight , it's not gonna move.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2613836

Also my stand is higher than most, 30+ inches.

Edit: 36" to be exact.

ericarenee
01/04/2017, 07:49 PM
For a acrylic tank i think you need a SOLID Surface for the tank to sit on. I have seen some larger tanks made with the bottom actually glued to a piece of 3/4 plywood then sit on metal stands...

the key is flat and NON Twisted warped surface...

buddhafish
01/04/2017, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the link, your stand is beautiful! Now the top of the stand where you tank sits is a solid layer of wood? Or just the beams running across? I was under the impression the entire bottom and to be on a hard surface.

buddhafish
01/04/2017, 07:54 PM
I posted before I saw your second comment lol. I will have to see someone's. There is a video of a guy using a sheet of wood on top as well as layer of foam. Not sure the most precise way to build this flat top surface.

ericarenee
01/04/2017, 08:02 PM
I posted before I saw your second comment lol. I will have to see someone's. There is a video of a guy using a sheet of wood on top as well as layer of foam. Not sure the most precise way to build this flat top surface.

i would search youtube for cabinet building , How to Build Square box and framing ..

biggest thing is cut everything exact and have no framing gaps Cross measure for square and most of all DO NOT USE A LEVEL to build the stand...

Framing square , tape measure and properly cut lumber will be true ..