PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Selection help

itz frank
01/05/2017, 10:30 AM
Hey guys. I've decided to upgrade my skimmer from an SRO 1000int. Just not sure of which skimz monster to go with.

I have about 150gallons of total water volume. moderate bioload. No upgrade in the near future on tank but bioload will increase. SPS only.

Looking between sm163, sm201, and sm203.

What would you guys recommend? I'm also upgrading my sump to a skimz sumpro up34-36.

RT_BRS
01/05/2017, 02:55 PM
Hey guys. I've decided to upgrade my skimmer from an SRO 1000int. Just not sure of which skimz monster to go with.

I have about 150gallons of total water volume. moderate bioload. No upgrade in the near future on tank but bioload will increase. SPS only.

Looking between sm163, sm201, and sm203.

What would you guys recommend? I'm also upgrading my sump to a skimz sumpro up34-36.

I think you have two solid options there I would recommend for a tank that size - the SM201, and the SM203. What it really comes down to is which pump you desire and the features it offers. If you want a DC pump, I would recommend the 203. DC offers an additional level of controllability and reduced noise/heat from the motor. If you want something that just works, and you can live without the pump controllability factor I would shoot for the 201 :)

itz frank
01/05/2017, 03:40 PM
I think you have two solid options there I would recommend for a tank that size - the SM201, and the SM203. What it really comes down to is which pump you desire and the features it offers. If you want a DC pump, I would recommend the 203. DC offers an additional level of controllability and reduced noise/heat from the motor. If you want something that just works, and you can live without the pump controllability factor I would shoot for the 201 :)

Thank you for the reply. I called in and was recommended the 163 but it was just based on bioload from the website. Didn't buy yet. My concern with the 163 is that it's rated at 120. I know the 203 is 190 heavy load. But what would you do in my shape?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RT_BRS
01/05/2017, 03:54 PM
Thank you for the reply. I called in and was recommended the 163 but it was just based on bioload from the website. Didn't buy yet. My concern with the 163 is that it's rated at 120. I know the 203 is 190 heavy load. But what would you do in my shape?

No problem! I ran the 163 on a 50 gallon tank for the better part of a year and a half and it performed pretty dang well (even considering that it was a sample that was dropped onto concrete, cracked, and thrown away. I rescued it and glued it back together the best I could and it still performed like a champ). If it were me personally, I would choose one of the larger sized skimmers (201 or 203) to prepare for a heavier bioload in the future which sounds like is in your plans. Is the 163 capable? Absolutely. But affording yourself some breathing room with one of the larger models would be my recommendation :)

itz frank
01/05/2017, 04:45 PM
Thanks for your help. I'll get the 203.

Now sell me on the UP30 or larger. I need sump socks as my current sump is a disaster and I don't siphon it out. I probably won't even run a fuge but I like the idea of having some extra space for a reactor or my siporax media that I run.

RT_BRS
01/05/2017, 04:56 PM
Thanks for your help. I'll get the 203.

Now sell me on the UP30 or larger. I need sump socks as my current sump is a disaster and I don't siphon it out. I probably won't even run a fuge but I like the idea of having some extra space for a reactor or my siporax media that I run.

Cool! Any time! How much room do you have available under your stand?