PDA

View Full Version : Stocking my new 120 gal mixed reef

Sean.G
01/05/2017, 03:40 PM
Hey everybody! I used to be on the forum a couple years back... New city, new tank, and I'm back in the community! 've had my 20 gallon for over a year, and just upgraded to a 120, with 30 gal sump. Needed room for corals to grow ;)

Here is my current fish plan, (in order I plan on adding them) Please let me know your thoughts. Nothing is fully set in stone, and currently there are just a few hermits, and snails, but they system is basically fish ready....

Bangaii Cardinal
Purple FireFish
Tail Spot Blenny
Six Line Wrasse
Orchid Dottyback
Anthea (not sure which one yet, maaybe 2, or maybe none)
Azure Damsel
Clown Pair (snowflake, or some sort of designer clowns)
Orange Spot Goby
Yellow Tang
Mandarin goby

Also very tempted to try an eel... but I know they are tough and can/will eat fish... but they are soo cool lol.

Thanks in advance everyone!

scooter31707
01/06/2017, 09:18 AM
I would not do a eel with this potential stocklist. Also I would be very timid to add the 6-Line Wrasse in there. They can be complete PITAs. Along with that I don't know if I would add a Mandarin into this mix with the Orange Spot, the Wrasse, and the Dottyback competing with it for pods.

VoiceInTheDeser
01/06/2017, 09:20 AM
On the Anthias, you should do either a harem with one male and several females or a lone male. Multiple males or a male with only one female will probably result in losing all but one male.

120 is a bit on the small side for a yellow tang. Here are some guidelines of tank sizes for tangs: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946079

I'd skip the damsel, as they tend to be jerks.

And on the Mandarin, make sure you have a good amount of established rock before you drop him in unless you want to be manually dropping in pods for him.

Six lines are not my favorite wrasse because they can be kinda mean and limit your choices going forward. Melenurus are a good alternative, imo.

scooter31707
01/06/2017, 09:51 AM
120 will be fine for a Yellow Tang, but I would not do 2 tangs.

Sean.G
01/06/2017, 01:55 PM
Thanks guys

I only plan on adding one Tang, I feel the 120 will be fine for him, and plan on buying him small.

The mandarin will be added around the 8 month to a year mark... I have a little refugium in the sump, and considering plumbing in a separate one for inverts (mainly my mythrax crab). I bought the tank as an established fish only tank, and had it torn down and re set up with in 5 hours, rock was kept wet. I started over with a new sand bed, and sold all his angel fish.

my friend who has tones of experience has a 6 line, and 2 madarins in his 90 gal, all fat. As well as he has the azure damsel.

I have heard the orchid dottyback, 6 lines, and azure can be jerks... but also heard enough stories of them all getting along fine...

I want the 6 line to keep down flatworms/ pests, and madarin is just a favorite fish of course, and the damsel.. is just for a pop of colour with little effect on the bio load.

Great advice on the antheas!

snorvich
01/06/2017, 03:00 PM
sixl ines are not compatible with mandarins.

VoiceInTheDeser
01/06/2017, 04:16 PM
Thanks guys

I only plan on adding one Tang, I feel the 120 will be fine for him, and plan on buying him small.

The mandarin will be added around the 8 month to a year mark... I have a little refugium in the sump, and considering plumbing in a separate one for inverts (mainly my mythrax crab). I bought the tank as an established fish only tank, and had it torn down and re set up with in 5 hours, rock was kept wet. I started over with a new sand bed, and sold all his angel fish.

my friend who has tones of experience has a 6 line, and 2 madarins in his 90 gal, all fat. As well as he has the azure damsel.

I have heard the orchid dottyback, 6 lines, and azure can be jerks... but also heard enough stories of them all getting along fine...

I want the 6 line to keep down flatworms/ pests, and madarin is just a favorite fish of course, and the damsel.. is just for a pop of colour with little effect on the bio load.

Great advice on the antheas!

I didn't mean to say the Yellow wouldn't be OK in the 120, just that it's pretty much the smallest I'd do because it is a 4 foot tank, despite the volume.

Sean.G
01/06/2017, 08:06 PM
sixl ines are not compatible with mandarins.

ehh man, as I have said.. my buddy has 2 mandarins along with a 6 line, all fish a fat and never bother each other....

I know there are "rules" and whatnot, but there are always lots of stories of people bending them and being fine, sometimes lol

mike61289
01/06/2017, 08:46 PM
ehh man, as I have said.. my buddy has 2 mandarins along with a 6 line, all fish a fat and never bother each other....

I know there are "rules" and whatnot, but there are always lots of stories of people bending them and being fine, sometimes lol

We still have to go with what the majority of statistics show us. Your buddy can be a very lucky outlier that got everyone to survive and live harmoniously, but that doesn't mean that everyone is.

It's better not to mix the wrasse and mandarin.