PDA

View Full Version : Jack O Lepto Can't touch air?

footballcs12
01/05/2017, 03:47 PM
I picked up a good size frag of a Jack O Lantern Lepto today from the LFS, girl asked me "you know this can't touch air right?" I haven't ever heard of a lepto not being able to touch air...clams and sponges I know but never heard of this. Frag is dripping right now, should I be worried not to let him get some fresh air or is he ok to be in the air the 2 seconds from the bucket to the tank?

AlSimmons
01/05/2017, 04:52 PM
I highly doubt exposing the coral to air for 2 seconds or even 20 seconds is going to have any adverse affects on it. They're a lot more durable than that IME.

footballcs12
01/05/2017, 05:49 PM
Exactly what I thought. It's my first leptoseris so I was confused for a second. Thank you!

Ytsejam02
01/05/2017, 06:19 PM
I had mine out out of the water long enough to super glue to a piece of rubble. No problem whatsoever. It practically visibly grows

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

heathlindner25
01/05/2017, 06:28 PM
Ya,you got some bad information.

xanthurum
01/05/2017, 07:55 PM
Good on you for double checking but yes it can be exposed to air. Most people use a frag saw to cut leptos and last I checked they don't make an underwater frag saw.

Ron Reefman
01/06/2017, 09:25 AM
Good on you for double checking but yes it can be exposed to air. Most people use a frag saw to cut leptos and last I checked they don't make an underwater frag saw.

An underwater frag saw, what a cool idea! Lets make it battery powered and easily portable so I can take it snorkeling with me!

mickey204
01/06/2017, 09:33 AM
An underwater frag saw, what a cool idea! Lets make it battery powered and easily portable so I can take it snorkeling with me!

Just out of curiosity (not trying to highjack) can you actually obtain coral specimens from the ocean and chuck them directly into your aquarium where you live?

Sorry, I just really envy people close to the ocean, it's friggen cold up here. lol

If you can, this would make me reaaaaaaaaaally want to move. haha

MondoBongo
01/06/2017, 09:57 AM
clams are fine to touch the air, you might just need to burp them after.

most corals are also just fine to touch air, with the exception of some (not all), gorgonians.

as far as sponges, that is correct. if exposed to air, it can become trapped in matrix and interrupt the capillary action they use to draw water through themselves to obtain food and nutrients.