PDA

View Full Version : Looking for supplier of Reef Smoothie in Houston. Or what do you supplement feed?

lacybiker2000
01/05/2017, 05:10 PM
Hi, looking for a LFS which has a good price on Reef Smoothie. Or suggestions on what you feed your corals. I have two BTA, hammerheads, candy canes and zoanthids.

Reef Smoothie is what the previous owner of the bigger corals fed them.

Thanks for your help.

jayball
01/06/2017, 11:54 AM
Hi, looking for a LFS which has a good price on Reef Smoothie. Or suggestions on what you feed your corals. I have two BTA, hammerheads, candy canes and zoanthids.

Reef Smoothie is what the previous owner of the bigger corals fed them.

Thanks for your help.

The hammer and Zoa's basically never need supplemental feeding as long as you have fish. The candy cane also does not need it but any chopped frozen food will be fine. The BTA's will be fed by hosted clowns or grab food as it goes bye.

Bottom line, do not waste you money on special coral food. If you want to give them a little extra frozen every now and then (once a week is a good baseline)that is fine but do not over do it. On the occasion that I do feed some of my LPS I usually use some spirulina brine shrimp, they have a good universal size fro LPS and the fish have no problem cleaning up what is left behind.

lacybiker2000
01/08/2017, 11:12 AM
You are correct on all of the above and I never fed corals in the past. However, the previous owner of the established reef used this product...and had great success with it. The clowns I have don't host in the BTAs. When I feed, the reaction from some of the corals is spectacular. So, yes they can survive without, but why would I wish them to if I can provide more for them.