PDA

View Full Version : Battling Phosphates

GregJames
01/05/2017, 09:47 PM
System: RedSea Reefer 250 (55gal display)
Torch coral, wall hammer, branch hammer, GSP, and zoas.
Filtration is just filter socks and skimmer

I'm currently battling a nitrate spike for some reason, but my phosphates are up to .5 somehow 😳
What is the quickest way to bring them down safely, and what should my course of action be tomorrow when the LFS is open?
I'm currently mixing water to do a 15gal water change, but I don't believe that will fix my phosphate issue.

Temp - 77.2
Sal - 1.026
Nitrate - 80
PH - 8.0
KH - 9.3
Phos - .5
Mag - 1270
Cal - 500

Jas111
01/05/2017, 10:22 PM
You can try GFO for the phosphate issue. It will bring it down quickly but set up will cost due to needing a reactor. Since you mentioned nitrates are also high it may be best to use No3 Po4x from Red Sea. I was battling high nitrates and it did the trick.

rjjr1963
01/05/2017, 10:36 PM
How are you measuring phosphates?

GregJames
01/06/2017, 12:20 AM
How are you measuring phosphates?

Well, we just moved about 2 weeks ago, so I'm wondering if the moved stirred stuff up too much and threw it all out of wack.

I'm using the Salifert test kits

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GregJames
01/06/2017, 12:21 AM
You can try GFO for the phosphate issue. It will bring it down quickly but set up will cost due to needing a reactor. Since you mentioned nitrates are also high it may be best to use No3 Po4x from Red Sea. I was battling high nitrates and it did the trick.

I'm actually considering running to the LFS tomorrow to pick one up...

Tanthaitrung
01/06/2017, 03:27 AM
Red Sea NO3:PO4-X

GregJames
01/06/2017, 03:32 AM
Red Sea NO3:PO4-X

That would just be for a temporary fix though, right?

Jas111
01/06/2017, 06:46 AM
It is similar to dosing vodka. I think it would be up to you if wanted to use it to correct the problem and then stop dosing and see what what happens. Like I said earlier I was battling high nitrates I was doing 20 gallons water changes twice a week with no real change to my problem. Started using nopox it took about a month and I went from over 50ppm to 2. Since I started using nopox I shut off my GFO reactor and I am not seeing any issues with phosphates. Just make sure your skimmer is dialed in.

It's not a quick fix but works.

scooter31707
01/06/2017, 08:08 AM
Well, we just moved about 2 weeks ago, so I'm wondering if the moved stirred stuff up too much and threw it all out of wack.

This would be my guess. Did you use the same sand?

RobZilla04
01/06/2017, 08:20 AM
I believe you are battling more than just phosphates. If the above post is true ^ and you used the same sand, you definitely stirred up the trapped gasses & nutrients. Hence you are fighting to get them down. I'm not one for resorting to chemical additions until absolutely necessary. Mostly because they address the symptoms not the cause of the underlying issue. Without lowering through skimming, water changes, and filter changes the undesired levels will climb again once the chemical dosing is halted.

Another possibility is what I am going through now with new sand and a few pieces of dry base rock. Whatever is inside them is being released and there is likely a mini cycle happening. Because the system is larger and filtration/skimming is sufficient there is no rise in ammonia or nitrites. The cycle is happening at a much more diluted rate but the end results (nitrates & phosphates) are slightly elevated thus the algae has a chance to show up.

In a few short weeks everything should level out. Just stay on top of things.

GregJames
01/06/2017, 02:48 PM
Yeah that's kind of what I figured with the move. I kept the sand in with about 4" of water and did it all as carefully as I could, but it must not have been enough.
Here's the problem though:
I deploy to the Middle East next week and will only be back for a few days every 3mo... The wife can do water changes, filter socks, skimmer, etc. All the basic stuff, but I have a professional coming once a month to keep it on track and do whatever needs to be done

rjjr1963
01/06/2017, 03:13 PM

I would recommend a Hannah ULR Phosphorus checker. This will give you a more accurate reading at a much lower level. I shoot for .05 ppm and a regular phosphate checker won't go below 1.0. There is such a thing as too low a phosphate level so you want to be careful with GFO.

Tanthaitrung
01/06/2017, 05:34 PM
That would just be for a temporary fix though, right?

You can use for long term to keep NO3, PO4 under control

GregJames
01/06/2017, 05:36 PM
You can use for long term to keep NO3, PO4 under control

I'm headed to the LFS tomorrow to pick some up, and possibly get a reactor as well

Tanthaitrung
01/06/2017, 05:56 PM
I'm headed to the LFS tomorrow to pick some up, and possibly get a reactor as well

I think, you should try Red Sea NO3:PO4-X, you need NOT to buy a reactor or pump. After few weeks, when you can control NO3, PO4, you may need a dosing pump

Best of luck

GregJames
01/06/2017, 06:00 PM
I think, you should try Red Sea NO3:PO4-X, you need NOT to buy a reactor or pump. After few weeks, when you can control NO3, PO4, you may need a dosing pump

Best of luck

That's kind of my problem.. I deploy to the Middle East next week, so the wife will be responsible for the tank. She can do basic maintenance, but gets lost in the chemistry side of it..
I do have a pro coming once a month to keep it in check, but I was just going to get a reactor as a peace of mind while I'm away

Tanthaitrung
01/06/2017, 06:24 PM
Oh. You also need a Hana HI736 to test PO4. Your NO3 is so high, most of GFO controls PO4 only. You may think about another simple method is chaeto with cheap led light

GregJames
01/06/2017, 06:27 PM
Oh. You also need a Hana HI736 to test PO4. Your NO3 is so high, most of GFO controls PO4 only. You may think about another simple method is chaeto with cheap led light

Yeah I think I've got the nitrates under control now after a couple 10gal water changes, deep cleaning, and tuning the skimmer.
I'm fairly certain that got jacked up because we moved the tank to a new house and disturbed the sand bed

Tanthaitrung
01/06/2017, 06:36 PM
To bring NO3 down, do 50% water change

GregJames
01/06/2017, 08:46 PM
I did close to that and they're barely registering now. I'll test again in the morning before I go get the Red Sea NO3:PO4-X