PDA

View Full Version : GFO media question

Pseudo69
01/06/2017, 09:04 AM
Hi BRS,

I am having a situation. My calcium reactor is putting out .11 ppm phosphates and I am using BRS GFO regular to keep my phosphates down to .04 ppm but it only lasts a week or less at 1 1/2 cups in a 140g system in a fluidized reactor.

Would the high capacity last longer? Would I use the same amount as the regular or less and still have to change frequently? Also would changing the Reborn media to something else like DaStaCo2 Media or Elos CA Pur? Any recommendations?

Thanks

RT_BRS
01/06/2017, 04:07 PM
Hi BRS,

I am having a situation. My calcium reactor is putting out .11 ppm phosphates and I am using BRS GFO regular to keep my phosphates down to .04 ppm but it only lasts a week or less at 1 1/2 cups in a 140g system in a fluidized reactor.

Would the high capacity last longer? Would I use the same amount as the regular or less and still have to change frequently? Also would changing the Reborn media to something else like DaStaCo2 Media or Elos CA Pur? Any recommendations?

Thanks

That is tricky! In my experience the reborn media has been pretty good in terms of PO4. Is there a chance there is a different source of PO4? Are you feeding pretty heavy?

When using the high capacity GFO, the rule of thumb is that you use roughly half as much per dose to filter the same amount of water compared to the standard product.

Using a synthetic media like the Elos CA Pur could be a great option. I would try to nail down the source first however and be certain that your reactor is the cause of the high phosphate before making any major changes.

Pseudo69
01/07/2017, 04:28 AM
Yep it is the reactor. I checked all sources of water from top off to salt water exchange system. It's not the food either. I don't have many fish maybe 5 so i don't feed heavily. I checked the effluent from the reactor and it was .11 ppm coming out.

Ok so I would still have to change my gfo at the same rate but just use half as much. So I don't see the benefit in changing gfo to the more expensive type. I guess I will go with changing the media.

Thank you

RT_BRS
01/10/2017, 01:55 PM
Yep it is the reactor. I checked all sources of water from top off to salt water exchange system. It's not the food either. I don't have many fish maybe 5 so i don't feed heavily. I checked the effluent from the reactor and it was .11 ppm coming out.

Ok so I would still have to change my gfo at the same rate but just use half as much. So I don't see the benefit in changing gfo to the more expensive type. I guess I will go with changing the media.

Thank you

No problem, I would give that a shot. Let me know if you don't see a change :)

mlb75
01/26/2017, 02:36 PM
Another option may be to change the media type in the CA reactor. If that's the cause of the problem unless all media causes that, it sounds like you've got bad media... Another option is maybe try run the reactor output through GFO before it goes back to the tank.