PDA

View Full Version : Marine Pure Nitrates

Zoregon
01/07/2017, 09:26 AM
So I've had a few posts on here about nitrates that won't go under 50 no matter what I've done.
I have two packages of the Marinepure spheres in my sump it was suggested to me that this may be the source.
So I did an experiment.....I took 10 spheres and placed them in 3 cups of tank water in a container in my sump to maintain temperature.
After about 20 hours I tested the water in the container.
Results: Tank water just under 50, water in the container was almost 100.
Everything I found on the Web says Marinepure decreases nitrates hence the reason I put them in. Perhaps this only applies to the brick?

Would it be detrimental/upset the balance of the tank if all spheres were removed at once, or should I do it over a few days?

worm5406
01/07/2017, 02:19 PM
Never take out all of your biological all at once. You will/can cause a negative impact and risk loosing everything. So do it over a few days. I would do 1/4 at a time and be done in a week, if I were you as long as something else is in the tank, too.

What else is in the tank that is handling filtration?

I have heard lots of bad things and also good things about chemipure blocks.

matt1444
01/07/2017, 03:12 PM
Are the spheres piled up with low or no flow? May be collecting detritus

Sk8r
01/07/2017, 03:18 PM
Gradual withdrawal, every few days. Bacteria need to catch up.

I would also say---if you're losing the nitrate battle, you may need a better skimmer.

Zoregon
01/07/2017, 03:30 PM
Ok. I'll slowly take them out. I'm not understanding why the skimmer would be too small?
It says 185-240 and I thought they didn't remove nitrates.

worm5406
01/07/2017, 04:16 PM
Oh he was saying IF you are losing.

Always take a look at the parameters and figure what can be done to correct them.

bif24701
01/07/2017, 06:01 PM
So I've had a few posts on here about nitrates that won't go under 50 no matter what I've done.

I have two packages of the Marinepure spheres in my sump it was suggested to me that this may be the source.

So I did an experiment.....I took 10 spheres and placed them in 3 cups of tank water in a container in my sump to maintain temperature.

After about 20 hours I tested the water in the container.

Results: Tank water just under 50, water in the container was almost 100.

Everything I found on the Web says Marinepure decreases nitrates hence the reason I put them in. Perhaps this only applies to the brick?

Would it be detrimental/upset the balance of the tank if all spheres were removed at once, or should I do it over a few days?

MarienPure Blocks are intended to help control Nitrates because of its bulk low O2 areas develop and nitrifying anoxic zones appear. This can not occur in the spheres because water and O2 flow with in their interior is too much. If you resplaced half of the balls with a block then 3 months later replaced the rest with another block it will significantly help your Nitrates. The spheres are extremely effective at processing ammonia and nitrite however won't do anything for Nitrates. I have two blocks in my 100g sump and a small powerhead. I'm very happy with the performance. They do so well in fact that I'm forced to add Nitrates now that my system is fallow for the time being, still my Nitrates drop over time. With my fish in the 180 display (300 total volume) my Nitrates never rose above 3ppm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk