PDA

View Full Version : T5 question: Retro Vs Fixture

itz frank
01/09/2017, 08:16 AM
I ran a google search on this and didn't quite find the answer I was looking for so I was hoping for some help.

I currently run 4x54watt retrofit T5s in conjunction with a LEDZeal S300 Malibu lighting fixture.

I'm looking to change my lighting system to either a 6bulb retro or 6bulb fixture. I was considering running an reefbright LED along side this or something similar.

My issue becomes that my tank is only 18" wide and I have about 15" of clearance inside my canopy. My tank is 26" deep by 60" wide and SPS only. I've had some success with my lighting set up but I got it used and the previous owner had it awhile. Because of that, I have no idea of how much use is on the LED other than my own ownership of 10 months and I've been running it at 100% for about 7months 10hours per day. I believe he ran it for at least two years prior to me.

Retro would allow me to just upgrade my current set up. Costs would be less but I'm more concerned with spacing and whether or not I'd see a performance increase using a fixture.

Also, retro would allow me to add 2x80watt lights to my current set up. And possibly move to 8 bulbs if needed.

An ATI 6 bulb fixture would max me out on space and wouldn't allow for additional LED supplementation.

So, my question is would I see a performance increase worth it to spend and get an ATI 6 bulb or should I just add a retro and use the funds for an LED strip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steallife904
01/09/2017, 09:19 AM
I would go retro specially since its in a canopy, if it where not a canopy I would say fixture... I currently run a retro t5 kit along with LEDs on my tank.

Watchm@n
01/09/2017, 02:55 PM
I ran a google search on this and didn't quite find the answer I was looking for so I was hoping for some help.

I currently run 4x54watt retrofit T5s in conjunction with a LEDZeal S300 Malibu lighting fixture.

I'm looking to change my lighting system to either a 6bulb retro or 6bulb fixture. I was considering running an reefbright LED along side this or something similar.

My issue becomes that my tank is only 18" wide and I have about 15" of clearance inside my canopy. My tank is 26" deep by 60" wide and SPS only. I've had some success with my lighting set up but I got it used and the previous owner had it awhile. Because of that, I have no idea of how much use is on the LED other than my own ownership of 10 months and I've been running it at 100% for about 7months 10hours per day. I believe he ran it for at least two years prior to me.

Retro would allow me to just upgrade my current set up. Costs would be less but I'm more concerned with spacing and whether or not I'd see a performance increase using a fixture.

Also, retro would allow me to add 2x80watt lights to my current set up. And possibly move to 8 bulbs if needed.

An ATI 6 bulb fixture would max me out on space and wouldn't allow for additional LED supplementation.

So, my question is would I see a performance increase worth it to spend and get an ATI 6 bulb or should I just add a retro and use the funds for an LED strip?

I am running the ATI 6 bulb configuration with euroquatics E5 led tubes.. they are a direct replacement for T5 bulbs but are led... as the name says [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

itz frank
01/09/2017, 03:46 PM
I am running the ATI 6 bulb configuration with euroquatics E5 led tubes.. they are a direct replacement for T5 bulbs but are led... as the name says [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Well, I meant to add reef brite strips.