PDA

View Full Version : New tank please comment

V3ganbullets
01/09/2017, 02:05 PM
Hello,

I am complete newbie to the hobby, started new tank 3 months ago and been lurking here for a few months before that.

Tank is Some old Juwel about 100ltr i got it second hand.

There is juwel box filter and heater, it came with lid with 2 t5 but i ditched lid and replaced light with chinese AquaMars 65wats LEDs. I have also added small Kent protein skimmer, it works about once a week and pulls some foam but mostly does not do much, I plan to replace it soon. I have added 2 powerheads Hydor Koralia 900 & 2200.

3 moths ago I have added about 2 inch of sand and 8kg live rock from LFS, 2 weeks later added another 2kg of live rock - there is alot of live rock in this tank.

I have monitored ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and phosphates and after 6 weeks there was no ammonia and no nitrites. At this stage some datomes started showing up, Another trip to LFS resulted in 5 Trochus snails and Nessarious snail.

After about 2 weeks with chems fairly stable I have added 2 Clowns and a Cardinal. One Clown jumped out after 3 days and my cat had a surprising lunch.

After another week I have added Fire Shrimp and Hallowed Hermit crab, and after another week Pink Candy Cucumber and Tuxedo Blue Urchin.

I keep temperature at 79-80F,
salinity 34-35,
phosphates are stubbornly at 1
Ammonia is below 0.25 usually 0 but it is so feint it is hard to judge accurately
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 40-50

I change water once a week - 20ltr, urin RoDi water.

There are some green algae in the tank, not much and it is not hairy, what kind can it be?

Few weeks ago I have noticed some growth on one of the rocks, looks like tiny polyp and when i tease it with water it hides in a tiny tube so I guess is not an algae, perhaps someone can ID it and tell me if it is safe to keep. Sorry about pic quality I am learning how to take pics of my new hobby.

I plan on adding back one more Clown, hopefully this is not too much livestock?

Next to go in are corals, starting with couple of softies, ultimately I have an ambition to have some SPS in there, is this realistic?

I plan on replacing skimmer to Reef Octopus 100,
Changing box filter to eternal Fluval 206
What else?

GoVols
01/09/2017, 02:52 PM
Hello,

I am complete newbie to the hobby, started new tank 3 months ago and been lurking here for a few months before that.

Tank is Some old Juwel about 100ltr i got it second hand.

There is juwel box filter and heater, it came with lid with 2 t5 but i ditched lid and replaced light with chinese AquaMars 65wats LEDs. I have also added small Kent protein skimmer, it works about once a week and pulls some foam but mostly does not do much, I plan to replace it soon. I have added 2 powerheads Hydor Koralia 900 & 2200.

3 moths ago I have added about 2 inch of sand and 8kg live rock from LFS, 2 weeks later added another 2kg of live rock - there is alot of live rock in this tank.

I have monitored ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and phosphates and after 6 weeks there was no ammonia and no nitrites. At this stage some datomes started showing up, Another trip to LFS resulted in 5 Trochus snails and Nessarious snail.

After about 2 weeks with chems fairly stable I have added 2 Clowns and a Cardinal. One Clown jumped out after 3 days and my cat had a surprising lunch.

After another week I have added Fire Shrimp and Hallowed Hermit crab, and after another week Pink Candy Cucumber and Tuxedo Blue Urchin.

I keep temperature at 79-80F,
salinity 34-35,
phosphates are stubbornly at 1
Ammonia is below 0.25 usually 0 but it is so feint it is hard to judge accurately
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 40-50

I change water once a week - 20ltr, urin RoDi water.

There are some green algae in the tank, not much and it is not hairy, what kind can it be?

Few weeks ago I have noticed some growth on one of the rocks, looks like tiny polyp and when i tease it with water it hides in a tiny tube so I guess is not an algae, perhaps someone can ID it and tell me if it is safe to keep. Sorry about pic quality I am learning how to take pics of my new hobby.

I plan on adding back one more Clown, hopefully this is not too much livestock?

Next to go in are corals, starting with couple of softies, ultimately I have an ambition to have some SPS in there, is this realistic?

I plan on replacing skimmer to Reef Octopus 100,
Changing box filter to eternal Fluval 206
What else?

With out pictures her you link.
https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

Your other thing coming in and out could be aiptasia.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=294

Patrick.S
01/09/2017, 02:56 PM
The little polyp thing looks like a colonial hydroid to me. I have a couple in my tank top.

V3ganbullets
01/09/2017, 03:17 PM
Thank you for links, it probably is aiptasia. I always thought they are larger mine polyps are about 3mm in diameter and foot is about 5mm long. I am thinking about boiling the rock on which it grows, or is that too extreme approach?

Patrick.S
01/09/2017, 03:48 PM
Never ever boil live rock!! There is stuff on there that can put you in the hospital. Take a peek at palytoxin poisoning.

xanthurum
01/09/2017, 04:10 PM
My bet is hydroids. Not really an issue, most die in an aquarium due to a lack of any number of things they need to survive. I would try to get your nitrates down that should help with algae.

V3ganbullets
01/09/2017, 04:36 PM
Never ever boil live rock!! There is stuff on there that can put you in the hospital. Take a peek at palytoxin poisoning.

Omg, thanks for the warning, can't believe I actually considered it!

V3ganbullets
01/09/2017, 04:47 PM
My bet is hydroids. Not really an issue, most die in an aquarium due to a lack of any number of things they need to survive. I would try to get your nitrates down that should help with algae.

Nitrates and Phosphates are the big issues for me right now, I try to change water twice a week whenever I can and I have polyfilter pad installed but after 4 weeks at the bottom of box filter it has not changed colour almost at all.

Patrick.S
01/09/2017, 05:06 PM
What else are you running in your filter? Is there anything that could be trapping detritus and raising your nitrates?

GoVols
01/09/2017, 06:36 PM
Thank you for links, it probably is aiptasia. I always thought they are larger mine polyps are about 3mm in diameter and foot is about 5mm long. I am thinking about boiling the rock on which it grows, or is that too extreme approach?
Yes, That's too extreme.
Get it with this. red sea aiptasia x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-2d15KDgCM