PDA

View Full Version : ich, taking suggestions and advice

Rueda13
01/09/2017, 07:51 PM
I just discovered 2 of my fish, blue tang and orange anthias have ich (I see white spots on them)

SO now I'm going to purchase a QT tank, power filter for that, and copper meds.

What should I di with my main display tank? I have reef in it plus other fish? Obviously a water change. What else do you guys recommend? I really do not want to lose any fish or coral

monkeysee1
01/09/2017, 08:04 PM
Hi Rueda!
ALL of your fish need to be taken out and put in your quarantine tank!
Let your main tank run fallow for EIGHT WEEKS! Keep up with your water changes and feed the corals in your DT as you normally would, but remember NOT to cross contaminate your quarantine tank with tools and gadgets you are using on your display tank!

IMHO, sure copper works - but it is VERY heavy duty and potent stuff and you can kill your fish with it if you're not careful. Hyposalinity is a better option and is gentler on your fish!

nereefpat
01/09/2017, 08:06 PM
Make sure it's ich before you do anything drastic.

If it is ich, you'll need to pull all fish and treat them as if they all have it. Then while treating, the display needs to be fishless for a while. To be nearly 100% sure, 72 days would be the duration of fallow for the display.

Also, look into tank transfer method to treat the fish as an alternative for copper.

Rueda13
01/09/2017, 08:07 PM
Hi Rueda!
ALL of your fish need to be taken out and put in your quarantine tank!
Let your main tank run fallow for EIGHT WEEKS! Keep up with your water changes and feed the corals in your DT as you normally would, but remember NOT to cross contaminate your quarantine tank with tools and gadgets you are using on your display tank!

IMHO, sure copper works - but it is VERY heavy duty and potent stuff and you can kill your fish with it if you're not careful. Hyposalinity is a better option and is gentler on your fish!

getting the QT tank in the morning.

So even the other fish that have no ich remove also?

Rueda13
01/09/2017, 08:09 PM
Make sure it's ich before you do anything drastic.

If it is ich, you'll need to pull all fish and treat them as if they all have it. Then while treating, the display needs to be fishless for a while. To be nearly 100% sure, 72 days would be the duration of fallow for the display.

Also, look into tank transfer method to treat the fish as an alternative for copper.

Any suggestion on a sure way to know it is ich?

monkeysee1
01/09/2017, 08:18 PM
Yes you need to treat all of them!
So get a qt setup going with freshly made salt water at a Specific gravity the same as your DT water. Get a bottle of bacteria to kick start it. Put the fish in there. Then either treat with copper or GRADUALLY reduce the specific gravity to 1.008 over a 24-36 hr period by pouring fresh DI water with the pH adjusted.
Fish should stay in there for the eight weeks. Gradually raise the salinity of the water again after five weeks.

Rueda13
01/09/2017, 08:23 PM
will begin the journey in the morning. My concern is the blenny which eats algae, the goby since there will be no sand, and the mandarin since there will be no copepods

windlasher
01/09/2017, 08:31 PM
will begin the journey in the morning. My concern is the blenny which eats algae, the goby since there will be no sand, and the mandarin since there will be no copepods

I believe Mandarins are somewhat immune to ich so you could leave him in there. Not sure about the goby, buy if so, you can always have a rock in the QT with Nori tied to it.

Anyone?

monkeysee1
01/09/2017, 08:35 PM
You can get live copepods and live brine shrimp at many aquarium shops, and ON LINE. Get some Vita Chem and add a drop to a morsel every time you feed. Also, you can get some dried algae and attach it to a clip so the blenny can munch on it!

xanthurum
01/09/2017, 08:45 PM
Don't leave any fish in the tank. There are several ways to treat the fish once in QT but you must remove all fish from the tank for a minimum of 72 days. Key word being minimum, time is your friend. No need to do a water change on the display just keep an eye on the QT parameters since you will be Putting fish in it right away. Do not buy any new fish while you are waiting the 72 days unless you are willing to reset the clock and retreat the fish in QT. I'm not trying to sound rude but I hope you learn from this and QT all animals before letting them in the display from now on.

snorvich
01/10/2017, 05:43 AM
I believe Mandarins are somewhat immune to ich so you could leave him in there. Not sure about the goby, buy if so, you can always have a rock in the QT with Nori tied to it.

Anyone?

Mandarins are somewhat resistant not immune. It must come out too. Also a mandarn will not succeed in your environment. Nor will a Hepatus tang

surffer227
01/10/2017, 09:22 AM
When I added my hippo tang I got a small ich outbreak and the tang even started to develop a little pop eye. I didn't want to stress him out so instead of qt. I picked up a UV light and plumbed it into my tank at a pretty slow flow rate. Within days no sign of ich in the tank and his popeye went down significantly. Also super clear water was a plus. Check out my build thread for a little more info.

Red Sea Reefer 250 build

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ereefcentral%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D2585000&share_tid=2585000&share_fid=1489&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrayolaViolence
01/10/2017, 09:27 AM
From what I have read UV will not kill ich. Even if it could/would it cannot remove the ich not in the water column. This goes for any parasites.

surffer227
01/10/2017, 09:53 AM
I heard that it does kill the ich but only in the suspension stage. I've also heard that all tanks eventually have ich, it's just the fact of keeping it dormant enough to not spread, which is exactly what a UV does, keeps it from spreading.

nereefpat
01/10/2017, 10:37 AM
I've also heard that all tanks eventually have ich

Old wives' tale. Spontaneous generation was disproved by Pasteur in 1859

gone fishin
01/10/2017, 02:29 PM
If you have ich then you must decide, do you want to treat the ich or manage ich.

To treat the ich remove all fish and leave the tank fallow or fishless for 72 days. Treatments include Tank transfer method(TTM), hypo-salinity, copper. I personally prefer TTM. A note of caution if using copper do not use any ammonia binding product such as seachem prime, this will create a toxic soup. Also, with copper a copper test is a must have and the therapeutic level must be maintained. With hypo the salinity must not be allowed to rise above 1.009 or the time starts over.

To manage ich feed well and maintain good water quality and hope the ich does not overwhelm the fish.

Good luck just my 2 cents.

thegrun
01/10/2017, 02:55 PM
[quote=gone fishin;24903146]if you have ich then you must decide, do you want to treat the ich or manage ich.

To treat the ich remove all fish and leave the tank fallow or fishless for 72 days. Treatments include tank transfer method(ttm),

this!!!