PDA

View Full Version : Catching Coronis scolopendra

kmvaccaro
01/10/2017, 03:03 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm a longtime lurker on these threads, but this is my first time posting! I am a master's student looking at mantis shrimp vision, and I need to collect some Coronis scolopendra. I've heard from some folks that I can find them easily with a yabby pump here on the Gulf Coast in Pensacola/Destin at low tide. Does anyone know/has anyone seen any around this area? And if so, where should I look?

Thanks a bunch everyone! I'm so excited to finally get my hands on some little stomatopods!

Katie

nmotz
01/10/2017, 07:33 PM
Hey katie, not sure about how to catch that species, but maybe Dr. Roy will chime in. He's caught stomatopods all over the world.

Here's an old quote from him about the species you're trying to catch:

Coronis scolopendra. It is in the genus Nannosquilla, family Lysiosquillidae. They are becoming quite common on the Florida coast, particularly the area around Indian River. It is often possible to find dozens in an area the size of a tennis court. Maximum size is 7.5 cm. They live in burrows on sand flats and may be exposed at low tide. They are easily collected using a yabby pump which sucks them out of the burrow. The burrow entrance is 4-9 mm in diameter. It appears they breed mostly in the winter when mated pairs are found.