PDA

View Full Version : Macro algae tank additives

rucnnefish
01/10/2017, 05:42 PM
I am trying to grow a bunch of caulerpa, and was curious wether anyone had experience dosing General Hydroponics' Flora Grow, Flora Micro, and Flora Bloom? Are there any ingredients in these products that will harm inverts. like pods and such?

Michael Hoaster
01/10/2017, 07:00 PM
I haven't heard of anyone in this forum using hydroponics plant foods. Maybe someone who has can chime in. Give it a try and let us know! I for one am always looking for something to accelerate plant growth. Good luck!

Ron Reefman
01/11/2017, 04:37 AM
I dose a small amount of iron into my tanks to help with growth. Randy Holmes-Farley suggested it and I've done it off and on for a couple of years now. I assume this might help with plant growth in an aquarium as well?

rucnnefish
01/11/2017, 07:33 PM
Thanks Michael and Ron. I started a small tank for a test. I added 1 ML./gal. of each of the 3 above , a handful of c. mexicanna, and a snail. I plan on testing water parameters tomorrow. The snail has been hanging out in the powerhead stream at the water surface, so that's not a good sign.

mzkrista
01/11/2017, 09:35 PM
I also add iron in my macro tank and it really helps the growth of the macro

Michael Hoaster
02/01/2017, 06:43 PM
Any news on your test?

rucnnefish
02/02/2017, 06:05 AM
The snail died! An air stone was added and macro and pods are growing. I plan on resetting the test tank because 1 ml/gal. is to much. Picked up some Kent iron and mag supplement yesterday, thinking about iron, CO2, and heavy broodstock feeding to accomplish my goal of a massive amount of calerpa for fry habitat.

Michael Hoaster
02/02/2017, 07:51 AM
Well bummer. Dosing with invertebrates can be tricky. My anemone is my canary in a coal mine. If it looks unhappy, I wait. I generally have always erred on the side of caution with dosing, because I have many other inverts to care for. In a tank with only plants, you can go nuts and push the envelope. Your plants can get everything they need from fish food, if you feed liberally, but you end up with more phosphate than is needed. So I add CO2, nitrate and fish food takes care of phosphate.

Good luck with your project and keep us informed.