PDA

View Full Version : Tunze 9410 DC Skimmer and Red Sea Reef Energy

saltywet
01/10/2017, 10:38 PM
Hi Roger,

I am considering getting the 9410 DC skimmer for a heavy SPS and LPS tank. The sump and tank would net approximately 60 gallons.

I am currently using NOPOX and Reef Energy A and B from Red Sea. My existing Reef Octopus INT 200 would go crazy and overflow with Reef Energy A and B. I would then have to turn the skimmer off for couple hours before turning it back on.

Do you know if I will have the same problem with the 9410 DC skimmer?

Thank you!
Alex

rvitko
01/11/2017, 10:07 AM
I think it is safe to say you would have this same issue with any skimmer. These additives are surfactants, they act a lot like detergent and affect the surface tension of the water and change the size and movement of bubbles causing these foam overs. Many organic additives will have this same result. I would try using a lower dose more often, for example a quarter dose twice as often, while you are adding less overall, you will likely see slower results but may avoid the skimmer issue.

saltywet
01/11/2017, 01:58 PM
Roger,

Thank you so much for your quick and honest response.
I was hoping the auto foam level adjust would have helped.
My wife will be proud of me from doing another impulse buy all thanks to you! :bounce3::dance:

rvitko
01/11/2017, 02:59 PM
It will stop the cup from overfilling, but instead the pump will have the air cut off because water is being drawn into the air intake and that makes noise and the water flow increases resulting in splash from the outlet. So, it would work in a way, but you would still have annoyances and it would not return to normal operation until the surfactant substance had degraded.

saltywet
01/11/2017, 09:47 PM
Will the filter sock prevent the splashing from jumping out of the sump? I am okay with splash noise from the outlet as I will primarily dose products before I leave home from my office. The tank is in my office. I am more concerned with crazy overflowing skimmer that I can do nothing about when I am not at the office.

rvitko
01/12/2017, 09:19 AM
Not completely, basically a needle wheel pump pumps a fixed volume, when everything is optimal the ratio is about 2 parts water to one part air, roughly 900 gph total at full power,and while it isn't completely linear, when the air shuts down that becomes approx 900 gph of water flow. This won't shoot out of the pipe but it is enough of a flow to overwhelm the filter bag and make a fair amount of splashing noise. In general the pump is not run to full capacity and the real flow will be closer to 600 gph, but it still will make noise in this condition, mostly a slurping noise from water being pulled through the air intake.

saltywet
01/12/2017, 11:07 AM
Roger,

Thank you for your time and explanations.

What if I take the filter bag off? Would that take care of the noise?
Even in a heavily stocked SPS tank 15 4-5 inch colonies, 10 LPS colonies,and about 10 smaller sized fishes , would the 9410 DC be fine or would you recommend a smaller protein skimmer?

rvitko
01/12/2017, 11:12 AM
It will easily handle a heavily stocked 60, it is overkill but not by a huge range and it should work. The filter bag removed will result in more noise, with the DC model you could try a higher water level and turning down the pump.