PDA

View Full Version : How to install Chloramine Monster before RODI?

125mph
01/11/2017, 09:26 AM
Im convince I have a big problem with chloramine.. i also have the BRS 6 stage system with 2 of the standard universal blocks that rids cholamine but I think thats not enough.

If I get one of those big Chloramine Monsters, BRS says to install it before the RODI system... so it would be Chloramine Monster > Sediment Filter > Carbon Block > Carbon Block > RO Membrane > RO Membrane #2 > DI #1 > DI #2?

Or should I install it between the sediment filter and the first carbon block?

mcgyvr
01/11/2017, 10:21 AM
BRS says install before.. so install before..
Thats obviously before any filter.. :p

be·fore
bəˈfôr/
preposition, conjunction, & adverb
during the period of time preceding (a particular event, date, or time).
"she had to rest before dinner"
synonyms: prior to, previous to, earlier than, preparatory to, in preparation for, preliminary to, in anticipation of, in expectation of; More
in front of.
"You should install the Chloramine Monster BEFORE the RO system"

125mph
01/11/2017, 10:52 AM
Well, the description says install it before the RO, but they also suggest installing a sediment pre-filter as you don't want sediments to clog the monster!

I'm looking to see what other people are doing.

tkeracer619
01/11/2017, 01:44 PM
Install it post sediment. 1 micron or smaller. I use a .5 micron sediment.

jayball
01/11/2017, 02:46 PM
The Chloramine Monster is just a big carbon block. You could get rid of the second carbon filter or run a second Sediment Filter but you want to protect that expensive filter with the other prefilters and run it just prior to the RO input.

Really the number of pre-filters you can run prior to RO depends on the input pressure. Every filter you run drops the pressure a bit, affecting RO performance.

125mph
01/11/2017, 03:24 PM
The Chloramine Monster is just a big carbon block. You could get rid of the second carbon filter or run a second Sediment Filter but you want to protect that expensive filter with the other prefilters and run it just prior to the RO input.

Really the number of pre-filters you can run prior to RO depends on the input pressure. Every filter you run drops the pressure a bit, affecting RO performance.

Hi,

Assuming my PSI is 38 off the pipe and 85 with my booster pump, would you run the booster pump after all the prefilters and just before the RO (assume I get the big carbon block) or would you run the booster pump before any prefilters? I've read that its counter productive to run at high PSI on the prefilters since you want the water to run through the carbon slower to get better utilization, but the RO requires high PSI.

tkeracer619
01/11/2017, 03:29 PM
That big filter has minimal pressure drop. I run the booster post sediment, pre carbon blocks. It is a big carbon block designed for chloramines. I believe it is a pentek chlorplus 20BB. Not all carbon blocks are not created equal against chloramines.

125mph
01/11/2017, 03:33 PM

So what you're saying is, two potential options:

Option #1: Sediment > Carbon > Chloramine Monster > RO > DI > DI

Option #2: Sediment > Chloramine Monster > Original RODI

tkeracer619
01/11/2017, 03:40 PM
The chloramine monster goes before any other carbon block. To do otherwise is a waste of time and money. You aren't protecting it... it is protecting the rest of your system. Putting it last is like having the president on a motorcycle leading the caravan and the secret service riding in the armored cars behind him.

My setup is....

.5micron sed > Booster Pump > Chlorplus 20BB (chloramine monster) > Chlorplus 10 >, Chlorplus 10 > .5micron Carbon > RO > RO > DI > DI

125mph
01/11/2017, 03:56 PM
The chloramine monster goes before any other carbon block. To do otherwise is a waste of time and money. You aren't protecting it... it is protecting the rest of your system. Putting it last is like having the president on a motorcycle leading the caravan and the secret service riding in the armored cars behind him.

My setup is....

.5micron sed > Booster Pump > Chlorplus 20BB (chloramine monster) > Chlorplus 10 >, Chlorplus 10 > .5micron Carbon > RO > RO > DI > DI

Perfect! Thank you!!!

acesq
01/11/2017, 04:49 PM
I run:

1 micron sediment > Chlorplus 20BB > Chlorplus 10BB > BRS Universal 10 > BRS Universal 10 > booster pump > RO > RO > DI > DI > DI.

I HATE chloramines

125mph
01/11/2017, 09:40 PM
I run:

1 micron sediment > Chlorplus 20BB > Chlorplus 10BB > BRS Universal 10 > BRS Universal 10 > booster pump > RO > RO > DI > DI > DI.

I HATE chloramines

Wow you are nutz! Why the booster pump after the prefilters? Just to get maximum time with the carbon?

acesq
01/12/2017, 09:55 AM
This is where spectrapure recommends setting the booster pump. The water pressure after the pre filters is high enough to supply the pump what it needs. My understanding is the higher pressure is needed for the ro membranes to work most efficiently and the pressure through the carbon blocks does not need to be high.

125mph
01/12/2017, 11:03 AM
This is where spectrapure recommends setting the booster pump. The water pressure after the pre filters is high enough to supply the pump what it needs. My understanding is the higher pressure is needed for the ro membranes to work most efficiently and the pressure through the carbon blocks does not need to be high.

What is your pressure without the booster pump?

acesq
01/12/2017, 12:46 PM
I haven't checked in a while but as I recall it's 45 -50psi

gus6464
01/12/2017, 01:47 PM
I run my booster after the sediment and carbons as well right before RO. Spectrapure recommends this so the booster or the solenoid if you run a pressure switch setup doesn't get clogged.