PDA

View Full Version : Kenya Tree Help

Jholden
01/11/2017, 06:56 PM
What the heck is going on with my kenya tree? Is it dying? dead? in shock?

I got it about 3 weeks ago. It looked great for a few days but has looked like this ever since. I got it from petco and I did not acclimate it (I know, big mistake). I talked to the manager there and she said it is probably in shock because they keep the salinity so low there and their lighting is no good. She said it would bounce back. What are your thoughts?

My tank is about 3 months old and all my other corals are thriving and multiplying.

Ammonia: 0
nitrates: 0
ph: 8.1
salinity: 1.024

AlSimmons
01/11/2017, 07:17 PM
It's not dying, but it does look extremely grumpy at the moment. Assuming your parameters are within reason you might want to find it a new spot and see how the coral responds.

Btw, that looks more like a Sinularia then a Kenya Tree IMO.

Jholden
01/11/2017, 07:27 PM
I moved it tonight the the opposite corner of the tank. We will see what happens.

albano
01/11/2017, 07:36 PM
Hope you realize that if it does recover, it's considered a 'weed' by most reefers that may overtake your tank and be very hard to get rid of...

NYCBOB
01/13/2017, 09:44 AM
Ur nitrate is 0? If that's the case ur water is too clean.

running scott
01/15/2017, 06:11 PM
I love Kenya tree corals, they sway back and forth from the wave maker powerheads, fish love swimming in and out of my Kenya tree forests!

miranda1960
01/16/2017, 02:34 AM
its like said above not a kenyatree but sinularia.. give it some more light and little bit flowing

NanoReefWanabe
01/22/2017, 07:25 AM
It looks to me like it is going to shed..I would give it a good bit of flow to help expedite this process...after that it will open up and pollute your tank with droppings..

BTW this looks more like what they call "colt coral"

kegogut
01/22/2017, 07:52 AM
Hope you realize that if it does recover, it's considered a 'weed' by most reefers that may overtake your tank and be very hard to get rid of...

Ur nitrate is 0? If that's the case ur water is too clean.

Take heed on both of these comments.

If your No3 is at 0 then kenya tree will not be very happy at all. My nitrates were at 25-50 and my Kenya was very happy and open. Ive been dosing to lower my No3 and now that theyre down to 10 or so theyre definitely not as happy.

Also once established and growing it will start breaking off branches and they'll float around and attach somewhere else in the tank. Before long you'll have it taking over areas where you dont want it and once there it's quite hard to get rid of it . It's one of the corals that I regret putting in my tank.

ldballoon4
01/23/2017, 09:43 AM
Update?
The original picture is hard to discern whether it is indeed green sinularia or the the tan/brown Kenya Tree.:bum:
Just pay attention to it it's flesh. If it starts to disintegrate, remove immediately.

FYI.It appears you have cyano on your rocks.:uzi: