PDA

View Full Version : canister filter as reactor?

Boom215
01/11/2017, 09:21 PM
setting up my sump and trying to plan out the plumbing. realized i have a canister filter i won't be using, and i have a HOB i planned on using for a QT tank. can i just use the canister as needed for charcoal or whatever else?

JohnnyHildo
01/11/2017, 11:43 PM
i can't see a reason why you couldn't. i have a eheim pro 3 filter that has dividable trays that would work perfect if i needed to provided the implement you fill it with is large enough not to get washed out and sent into the sump. prime example being gfo.

Boom215
01/12/2017, 08:16 AM
great, thanks for the reply. just seemed unnecessary to buy more equipment if i could just repurpose what i have.

billdogg
01/12/2017, 12:15 PM
I used a canister as a place for a little extra biological filtration and a whole lot of carbon for 22 years on my 60g cube. Go for it. Just keep it clean.

Vinny Kreyling
01/12/2017, 01:09 PM
Just do NOT use it for GFO unless you want to put it in the garbage after it turns to a brick.

Fishbulb2
01/12/2017, 02:38 PM
It should work fine for carbon and some other media. Just be careful with mechanical filtration. The idea with filter socks and such is to replace them often, and a canister would be a pain to open and clean every week.

FB

Boom215
01/12/2017, 10:27 PM
It should work fine for carbon and some other media. Just be careful with mechanical filtration. The idea with filter socks and such is to replace them often, and a canister would be a pain to open and clean every week.

FB

im planning on just having this run on my sump, so it will be easy to access since it'll be in my basement. thanks everyone.

as far as the goo goes, i guess ill just have to suck it up and buy a reactor for that? or do people run that only on occasion so i could get away with a home made one?

Breadman03
01/12/2017, 11:08 PM
Just do NOT use it for GFO unless you want to put it in the garbage after it turns to a brick.

That sounds like personal experience :)

Vinny Kreyling
01/13/2017, 08:56 AM
Nope, but I knew the fellow that it happened to.

ca1ore
01/13/2017, 02:42 PM
Seems to me there no fundamental difference between a canister filter and a 'reactor'. OK, I suppose the former may have a pump/motor on top, but otherwise no operational differences really. Reactor will act as a mechanical filter just like a canister will.

billdogg
01/13/2017, 03:45 PM
Seems to me there no fundamental difference between a canister filter and a 'reactor'. OK, I suppose the former may have a pump/motor on top, but otherwise no operational differences really. Reactor will act as a mechanical filter just like a canister will.

DING DING DING!!!

We have a winner. There is NO difference other than a canister can be a bit more difficult to maintain. I find them to be especially well suited for carbon since NO tumbling is desired.