PDA

View Full Version : Coast2coast overflow question

Remmers
01/12/2017, 06:10 PM
What makes these quite, compared to the overflows like Synergy and others on the market?

Are the manufactured ones just a smaller cleaner looking one of a C2C?

I'm redoing my 180 and since I have time to plan this out, I am trying to figure out what my best option is.

Either way I have to have it custom made as the Tank already has 2 holes drilled in the back, so Either I make it or have one of the company's make one of there's but with holes custom drilled to fit

Lsufan
01/12/2017, 09:37 PM
A custom c2c overflow box isn't necessarily quieter then one of the manufactured ones like reef synergy. The big advantage to c2c is the surface skimming u will have. I don't make my boxes a full coast to coast anyways. I like to keep them around 3" from the ends of the tank. If u can view the tank from the sides I think it looks better this way rather then being a true c2c. It also gives u a little room for your returns.

On a 180 I would do a custom overflow. I have always made my own so I'm not 100% sure but I believe the longest manufactured box is 36" & I would want something longer on a 6' tank. I would want a minimum of around 60" but the longer the better for surface skimming.

I made a diy ghost type overflow on my 150 & I love it. I like having the narrow interior box rather then only a interior c2c box. I like the extra room but to me it also looks a lot better.

As far as the noise, that will be determined by your drain setup. I wouldn't set up a tank without using a bean animal drain setup. To me it is by far the best drain setup to have. It's the quietest & safest setup to have but u do need 3 holes for drains, so u would have to have another hole drilled.

Remmers
01/13/2017, 06:54 AM
If I have a external box with with either a c2c or a diy ghost overflow, I will be ok with the 2 holes in the tank as the drain pipes will be in the external box?

With that being said I wont have to worry about the elbows inside the tank so I can make the internal box slim and long correct?

IvanTheTerrible
01/13/2017, 12:19 PM
If I have a external box with with either a c2c or a diy ghost overflow, I will be ok with the 2 holes in the tank as the drain pipes will be in the external box?

With that being said I wont have to worry about the elbows inside the tank so I can make the internal box slim and long correct?

Unless you are doing something special, the sizes of the boxes need to be considered when deciding how many holes to drill. The bulkheads that go through the tank are all that hold the boxes in place. This is especially important for the outer box, since the weight of the water in it will try to pull it off of the aquarium.

Yes, you can make the internal box slim but make sure you leave enough room to get the bulkheads. You can also build the box around the bulkhead, which makes it really thin but impossible to change a bulkhead gasket if it ever leaks.

- Ivan

ca1ore
01/13/2017, 12:22 PM
Just keep in mind that long internal overflows will require you ensure the tank is perfectly level; otherwise you will get differential flow along the length. Also, the external box does not need to be long; just big enough to handle the three drains. So, actually, center ground holes are fine.

scuzy
01/13/2017, 12:30 PM
on my new tank i went with a coast to coast external overflow. It's been great the noise level depends on the drain style use. I went with the beananimal drain and it's been pretty quiet.

mcgyvr
01/13/2017, 01:24 PM
A coast-coast overflow is ANY overflow that skims water along the entire length of a tank..

If it meets that..Its a coast to coast..
Then there is "internal" and "external" sub-categories depending on where the actual elbows/drain system is placed..

As stated the benefit is lots of surface skimming along the entire length of the tank and no spots where that protein slime just swirls around/collects..