PDA

View Full Version : Kole Tang Acclimating Help

Demnok
01/13/2017, 03:25 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any advise on acclimating a tang to QT? I picked up a yellow eye Kole tang yesterday from my LFS. He's about 2 inches in length. I did get him directly from a shipment and did not allow him to acclimate to the fish store prior to picking him up. Basically brought home the bag he was shipped in. Obviously this was an error and even though I have read not to do this I still did. My thought was I have a well set up QT that's been running for three weeks has finished cycling etc... He should do just as well acclimating in my set up as the LFS. For the last 24 hours though he has been just swimming against the glass. I have pvc pipes but he doesn't hide in them. He's very healthy and swimming well, but is fixated on the fact that he's in an aquarium and as such has not been interested in food. I have a good relationship with the LFS and can take him back in to let them acclimate him if needed, but I would like to avoid that additional stress on him if possible. I have placed some cardboard around the back and sides of the QT to hopefully calm him but it hasn't worked as I had hoped. Any other actions I can take to calm him down? The QT is a 20 gallon tank bare bottom with a heater, spounge filter, one large live rock and small power head. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all at zero.

Demnok
01/13/2017, 04:13 PM
I was able to get him to eat some brine shrimp/ kelp blended frozen food with amino acids and vitamins added. Still acting stressed but reacted well to food. To me this seems like a good sign.

Cliving1
01/13/2017, 04:24 PM
Have your tried any seaweed clips? That might stir its appetite. Seeing as it was just shipped it make take days for it to start eating comfortably. Tangs are big swimmers as long as its not eratic the 20 gallon should be OK. That size of tank will stress the fish out somewhat, but many use that size with greay success.

Demnok
01/13/2017, 05:12 PM
I tried nori this morning left it in the tank for about thirty minutes then removed it. He's not swimming erratically just seems put out to be in a tank. The 20 gallon is just for QT, he's going into a 105g. I'll try nori again later this afternoon just being cautious with food because the tank is so small I don't want to have an ammonia spike. I was happy to see him eat a little brine shrimp though.

hogfanreefer
01/13/2017, 05:23 PM
I've done TTM on several tangs that size without a problem. Tangs are always swimming. Unless he's panicking (and if he's eating that's not likely) he should be fine. He'll much more likely learn to associate you with food in a QT that size than in the DT.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/huntindoc/aquarium/Whitetail1_edited_zpsfd273a6b.jpg

rygar
01/13/2017, 07:54 PM
One thing you could try in the future is to keep a couple easier going damsels in the quarantine at all times. Then when you put a fish in there to quarantine, it's not going into an empty tank. Puts the new arrival at ease a bit and helps to calm him down....especially tangs. Those guys HATE being alone.

Plus you don't have to worry so much about uneaten food. You have a little competition and fish react to that.

For now, might help to throw a couple aquarium plants in there to make him feel a little more comfortable. They're soft and safe for a crazy frantic tang zooming around.

Maybe try frozen brine shrimp that has been gut loaded with spirulina to fatten him up a bit. A good fish store should have it.

Demnok
01/13/2017, 08:36 PM
My LFS actually suggested putting something in with him, when I called them earlier. I'll have to do that going forward. He's actually doing much better though. He's eaten twice now this last time I mixed in some frozen reef frenzy with the frozen kelp/ brine shrimp blend, all soaked with garlic, amino acid and a multi vitamin. I have some nori in there to see if he grazes. He's now behaving more normal as well. He's going in and out of the pvc caves and not spending as much time against the glass. I'll post a picture here shortly. Thanks for the advice.

Demnok
01/13/2017, 08:52 PM
Best I can do with the lights out in the QT.

ca1ore
01/14/2017, 10:42 AM
Not saying it won't eat nori, but it's a common misconception with bristles. I've kept more than most, and none ate it in QT, and only a few even ate it in the DT. Frozen is quite sufficient until they get grazing opportunities.

Demnok
01/14/2017, 12:47 PM
How often would you recommend feeding since its normal behavior is to graze continually? The DT has well established live rock and algae but there is not much in the QT.

anthonys51
01/15/2017, 10:02 AM
I find with new tangs it takes them a while to know that nori on a clip is good. My kole tang didn't eat it fir 2 weeks. Also I would t worry about it acting weird. I had a kole tang for 3 years. Moved it in a 80 rimless with just eggcrate in the tAnk and it still acts weird 2 months later. In the other tAnk with tons of rock and other fish it never acted scared. Just feed it a few small meals a day and leave the nori in there longer. I would also feed it mysis shrimp there more nutritional then brine shrimp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca1ore
01/15/2017, 10:39 AM
How often would you recommend feeding since its normal behavior is to graze continually? The DT has well established live rock and algae but there is not much in the QT.

I always feed new fish a lot in QT. Water quality isn't a big deal (ammonia excepted) so 10x a day is not unusual. I work from a home office though. Feed it as frequently as you can, and as long as it's eating what you offer. I wouldn't sweat the nori. As I noted before, bristles aren't big on it anyhow. Also, if you feed it some of the spirulina brine than its getting some greens.

jml1149
01/15/2017, 11:03 AM
I found that if I take dried nori, chop it up, soak it in some water with selcon, and then feed that my tomini tang gobbles it up.

I have seen early signs of HLLE that resolved after feeding the nori regularly

Demnok
01/15/2017, 04:14 PM
I picked up three Banggai cardinals that I had ordered through the LFS yesterday after they sat for a few days. All four are in the QT now. The company is definitely helping him calm down and the food competition is getting him to eat more. I am feeding them three times a day so far then removing the food after about 30 min with a turkey baster. I tried shredding the nori but no mater how long I soak it it doesn't sink. It might also have to do with the sponge filter and the bubbles it's collecting. I also picked up an ammonia spike indicator just because of the increased biomass. I will reset the QT time(only lost a few days so no big deal). Everyone is eating so looking good so far. I can't wait to see them in the DT.

Demnok
01/15/2017, 04:17 PM
The other two Banggai are in the pvc tunnels.