PDA

View Full Version : 10g sump question

kidkaos520
01/14/2017, 06:25 PM
Is there a way to calculate how much water is going to drain back into the sump after a power outage? Going to be using a lifereef hob for my red sea max 130. I haven't exactly figured out the layout of the sump but I plan to have a sca 301 skimmer length is 4.25 width is 7in; I've read that the skimmer works best in about 7inches of water so I'm thinking 8 inches for the first baffle. Would like to incorporate a small area for some sand and chaeto and the maybe 2 or 3 7in baffles for bubble trap followed by return which will be either a mag 5 or sicce. As for plumbing probably just some silicone tubing. Felt like I kind of rambled but thought I should give a little background to answer the first question. Any thought or ideas on sump design is welcome.

RobZilla04
01/14/2017, 07:56 PM
Ditch the sand in a sump. I've got the sca-301. There is a red plate inside the unit that marks the recommended water height. At that water height my skim setting is right at 3. A little less water and I could manage bumping the setting up slightly. So you could get away with 6.5 to 7.5 inches of water, maybe a little less/more.

As for the power outage I did a test oce the setup was complete. Cut the return pump and let the back flow into the sump. Try with a relatively low sump water level stating to start. Once th back flow stops you can add a little water if you have plenty of room in the sump. Turn the return pump back on and mark the max water level in the sump once everything levels out from running for a few min.

kidkaos520
01/14/2017, 08:17 PM
So my baffle heights should be fine?

RobZilla04
01/14/2017, 08:30 PM
I don't have baffles in my sump so I'm not sure how to assist with baffle heights and they relate to water level.