PDA

View Full Version : Marine Pellets falling to the bottom

cbleehk
01/15/2017, 08:06 AM
Hi all,

I wanted to feed marine pellets (ocean nutritions formula 1) to my fish and whenever I do so many of them just fall to the bottom. The fish don't really pick on the sand bed so they just become detritus if I continue to do so.

I'm wondering if there's a more proper way to do this?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew D
01/15/2017, 10:43 AM
Not intending to be cheeky, but perhaps feed less pellets? I've experienced the same which is why I don't feed pellets as much anymore. You may also want to consider getting a fish that picks at the substrate like a kole tang, or a bog that sifts the substrate. Nassarius snails, crabs and serpent stars will also help keep it clean.

1SaltCreep
01/15/2017, 09:48 PM
I also feed pellets and experienced the same issue. I also noticed quite a few of the pellets going right into the overflow. Then I started using a feeding ring. It allows the pellets to descend once they're waterlogged and not all at once. The fish all gather around it now at feeding time.

Other than a feeding ring, I wud suggest feeding slower. It's a pita, but you can feed just enough for them to get it before it reaches the bottom.

As an impatient sort myself, and having 3 tanks to feed, I opted for the feeding rings. If ur surface is highly agitated, the rings w eventually float away from the glass (if using the cheap suction cup style rings). The magnetic rings don't suffer this issue, but always seemed too overpriced for what they were. I would suggest buying the cheap $2 rings and give it a try. Then decide on their value to you.

cbleehk
01/16/2017, 01:55 AM
Thanks for the reply. The pellets I have don't seem to stay afloat more than a few seconds. So I'm only feeding a few pellets a time. The fish are so timid and hide whenever I approach. It helps when I turn everything off and let it sink slowly and spot feed them so it drops beside them. But still a lot gets sunk and it's time consuming.