PDA

View Full Version : Dead peacock?

makeshift101
01/15/2017, 10:13 AM
So I have been traveling a lot, since thanksgiving and before I left my peacock mantis shrimp was out and about and moving around and actign normal, I come home for one week and it looks like he was getting ready to molt, fast forward 4 weeks now, and he hasn't come out of where ever he went to go molt. I am not sure where he went to go molt, hes in a 40 gallon, like i said, ive been traveling.
There is and was no smell from what i was told by my girlfriend. I haven't noticed a change in the skimmer or water chemistry. IF he did die during a molt, he could still be trapped where he hid? I have a feeling if I start moving rocks I could have a mess on my hands, and thoughts?

nmotz
01/15/2017, 10:20 AM
4 weeks is a long time. I'd try lowering a piece of raw shrimp into the tank with a feeding stick/tongs to see if the mantis will come out of hiding. If not, then I'd say you can start looking for the body. Hoping for the best!

makeshift101
01/16/2017, 04:29 AM
So something that I feared, I moved some rock, moved his tunnel, no where to be found, not sure where he went, no trace of his body or even any remains

CrayolaViolence
01/17/2017, 02:29 PM
If you have any kind of clean up crew (including worms) they would have decimated the remains in days. A really good bacterial load could digest it in 5-7 days.