PDA

View Full Version : QT Tank needed?

SycoCell
01/15/2017, 04:08 PM
News to all this....I hear people mentioning a QT tank...is this required or whatnot? If so, what's a good setup for one? I picture just a small tank of water and a HOB filter and heater...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ericarenee
01/15/2017, 04:17 PM
Yes .. My opinion especially if you have a LARGE Reef tank where once you put something in it. Its there . Like my tank there is no way i could get a sick fish out.Not to mention treat it for a parasite..

For your qt yes you need Tank, Simple Filtration , Heater, Fish Collection bowl.( I DO NOT US NETS) and anything else you might use in a tank. Do not use this stuff for any other tank. Do not store it with stuff for any other tank..

All new Marine life you buy should be considered contaminated until you prove otherwise..
Hope this helps

SycoCell
01/15/2017, 04:34 PM
If I setup a 10g in my bedroom, do I need to keep it at 78 or can I keep the tank down near 75 while there aren't any inhabitants in it? Do people use that same tank for new coral frags as well (assuming I have real lights)?

gone fishin
01/15/2017, 06:13 PM
IMO a QT will usually separate long term reefers from short term. There are some very good sections on QT in the setting up sticky.

ericarenee
01/15/2017, 06:15 PM
If I setup a 10g in my bedroom, do I need to keep it at 78 or can I keep the tank down near 75 while there aren't any inhabitants in it? Do people use that same tank for new coral frags as well (assuming I have real lights)?

I only put mine in use when i need it... rest of the time its dry

scooter31707
01/18/2017, 12:12 PM

You can, just making sure you have the proper equipment to keep corals in. For fish, my QT just has a heater and a canister filter. I keep all parameters the same as my DT.

mcgyvr
01/18/2017, 12:14 PM
Is it a must.. NO..
Is it a good idea.. YEAH..
Have many gone without and been just fine.. Yes..
Have many gone without and had serious problems... Yes..

Do you feel lucky punk?

Tisbe
01/18/2017, 12:41 PM
For me "A must" = Yes. I just have a 10 gallon with HOB, heater, Par38 bulb and a piece of PVC for shelter. I have been in this hobby 8+ years and can confirm that I have had ich, flatworms, bubble algae & mysterious deaths all in my QT tank. Is any of that in my DT or ever been there? No.

There are enough other thing that can/will go wrong in this hobby that you really want to minimize the risks as much as possible. Sure the $100 QT seems like a lot, yes it is no fun to QT, takes time & space but, one pest can really screw up your DT for months and take tons more time and money to fix than a QT ever will.

azsoccerpop
01/18/2017, 12:54 PM
you can find a used tank for about $10-15 a used box filter for $5-10 or i use a sponge filter @ $6. Any light is fine. PVC for fish to hide in... a used 100 watt heater $5-10
So total cost is around $30 at most. Compare that to the cost when losing all of the fish you plan on putting in your DT. I don't keep the QT running all the time and i don't even worry about the biofilter. Some put the cleaned sponge back into their sump after use to get biofilter bacteria on it. I change water more often using the seachem ammonia alert which is not a bad idea considering you want to replace water to help get rid of whatever "bug" is in there with the fish be it ich or velvet or flatworm.... I am back after years of being away and i am still learning but this is a lesson I wont ever forget and never will I go without a QT. Like Mcgyvr said. Do yah feel lucky punk. Even if you do luck eventually runs out.

Sgt Jonny Cat
01/18/2017, 01:14 PM
Here's a video on You Tube that I found pretty helpful. This guy knows his stuff. I hope it helps...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bRTXkHECIc

GimpyFin
01/18/2017, 01:22 PM
A glass tank with a HOB filter (Just sponge/biomedia, no carbon) heater, basic light, and glass top or cover of some sort. Thrown in a couple large PVC elbows for the fish to hide and you should be good. Mine stays empty until I need it. IMO, if you have the room, I'd recommend something a little larger than 10g, like a 20 or 29.

CrayolaViolence
01/18/2017, 01:54 PM
News to all this....I hear people mentioning a QT tank...is this required or whatnot? If so, what's a good setup for one? I picture just a small tank of water and a HOB filter and heater...

It's better to have one and use it. Then to not have one and wind up needing it. Usually by the time you absolutely HAVE to have one, all your fish are dead.
And I'll go one step farther in saying, a QT tank alone is useless. You need to QT and treat the fish for any and all parasites and worms while it's in the QT. Otherwise you're still going to transfer every parasite living in and on the fish, into the tank, just a month delayed.
Think of a QT tank as the buffer zone you'd have for a new puppy. You get a new puppy it goes to the vet for shots, worming, etc. Since there are no "check ups" for fish, you have to take the position of vet for your fish and do all the necessary preventative care to keep your other fish healthy when you bring in new comers.

jpcemc
01/18/2017, 02:04 PM

I learned the hard way via ich in my DT to quarantine :(.

CrayolaViolence
01/18/2017, 04:21 PM
I learned the hard way via ich in my DT to quarantine :(.

Don't feel bad jpcemc, you, me, and many others learned the same way.

scybulski
01/18/2017, 04:23 PM
I always QT. Got burnt a couple of times and better safe then sorry... I have a 29 gallon with HOB, heater and Fluval canister filter. Works good for a QT. Also I have a 20 gallon long hospital tank just in case.... easier to measure out meds