PDA

View Full Version : Kelvin Konfusion!

kaz1961
01/16/2017, 02:34 PM
Trying to decide on lighting for my display refugium. I have read numerous threads here and on the internet and seem to be getting conflicting info on Kelvin ratings. My Aqueon led fixture has a Kelvin rating of 9000 and the led lightbulbs have a rating of 5000K. Would it be a good idea to use both to get a fuller spectrum? What Kelvin ratings have you guys determined to work best?

Michael Hoaster
01/17/2017, 04:58 PM
Most macros grow in shallow water, so I use daylight 5000K myself. Most folks like a little blue. It looks more "oceany".

Too much blue favors micro algae. "Photoreduction of Iron" is the process where micro algae are able to utilize blue light (520-400nm) to access iron in the water column. In an experiment, investigators filtered out light wave lengths below 520nm. Algae became iron deficient and would not grow.

I hope this helps!

nathan_krauss
02/07/2017, 06:47 PM
I found a good article on AquaticPlantCentral, it was about fresh water plants but I can't imagine them being to much different than saltwater. It too mentioned that it was the blue and red wavelengths that aided in photosynthesis.

Ron Reefman
02/08/2017, 05:21 AM
I found a good article on AquaticPlantCentral, it was about fresh water plants but I can't imagine them being to much different than saltwater. It too mentioned that it was the blue and red wavelengths that aided in photosynthesis.

How about a link so we don't have to go searching for it?

nathan_krauss
02/08/2017, 03:57 PM
I know, sorry, I had to go and find it again.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/lighting/38014-lighting-spectrum-photosythesis.html

taricha
02/10/2017, 05:14 AM
Too much blue favors micro algae. "Photoreduction of Iron" is the process where micro algae are able to utilize blue light (520-400nm) to access iron in the water column. In an experiment, investigators filtered out light wave lengths below 520nm. Algae became iron deficient and would not grow.

I hope this helps!

That a very cool find. Can you point to the article?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Michael Hoaster
02/10/2017, 08:25 AM
It's from a book, that I highly recommend, "The Ecology of the Planted Aquarium", by Diana Walstad. I'm sure you could google 'photo reduction of iron' and find more. But the book is great. I've lost count how many times I've read it. I'm in the process of reading it again!