PDA

View Full Version : Sumps inside press-wood cabinets

Str8linespeed
01/17/2017, 07:44 AM
Those of you that have cabinets made of press-wood and have a sump in it. Do you have any issues with the cabinet wicking up moisture and swelling?

billdogg
01/17/2017, 08:55 AM
I don't have a stand like that but what I would do is use several coats of polyurethane or paint to seal it VERY well.

mcgyvr
01/17/2017, 09:03 AM
i don't have a stand like that but what i would do is use several coats of polyurethane or paint to seal it very well.
+1..

Str8linespeed
01/17/2017, 09:11 AM
Reason I ask is I have a Red Sea Max 250 and its matching stand. I want to add and external sump but started thinking about this more and how it could become a problem. Thanks for the input about the polyurethane.

mcgyvr
01/17/2017, 09:22 AM
Anytime you have wood around water its a dang good idea to seal it..
Just regular latex paint works just fine.. Or poly,etc.. if stained..

ericarenee
01/17/2017, 01:29 PM
I agree with the above but will add

Calk the seams paint and add a fan or two to help keep it dry...Another option that can help is try to cover some of the top of the sump to help keep humidity down inside of the stand....

Fans is what i always done when i had under tank sump and over m/h canopy

GQsmooth
01/17/2017, 02:45 PM
Kilz paint is good enough for the inside of the stand.

CrayolaViolence
01/17/2017, 02:45 PM
I'd think Red Sea would make sure the stand was sufficiently coated to withstand salt water because they specifically sell their products for that purpose. And last time I checked, they were not slackers on quality.

Str8linespeed
01/17/2017, 03:43 PM
I agree with the above but will add

Calk the seams paint and add a fan or two to help keep it dry...Another option that can help is try to cover some of the top of the sump to help keep humidity down inside of the stand....

Fans is what i always done when i had under tank sump and over m/h canopy

Good point about caulking the seams and the idea to use a couple fans.

Kilz paint is good enough for the inside of the stand.
Thanks I have plenty of that!

I'd think Red Sea would make sure the stand was sufficiently coated to withstand salt water because they specifically sell their products for that purpose. And last time I checked, they were not slackers on quality.

I tend to agree, but there is this. My prior tank was a Red Sea C130. The owner before me overflowed the tank with the ATO and the base and door warped really bad. When I got it I had to rebuild the base of it.

Red Sea's new tanks have the sumps underneath, but Im guessing they have updated the cabinets to account for this.