PDA

View Full Version : Low PH?

RogueGrown
01/18/2017, 10:55 PM
After testing my water I find my PH is a tad low at the 7.9-8.0 range. My tank is at the moment a 20g Long relying on water changes and circulation alone as I have no sump at the moment. After a quick search on Google I find having more gas exchange may cause PH to be lower. Should I consider an air pump or a pump at the surface to help raise this? Right now I have an AC70 acting as a pod breeding ground (doing very well) and and eheim surface skimmer to create surface ripples.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

DM and the Boys
01/19/2017, 08:44 AM
Your PH is fine, maybe test it in the morning before the lights come on. If you need to get it higher get more ventilation in the room. I get all the air for my skimmer piped in from the outside, that would also help.

RogueGrown
01/19/2017, 09:48 AM
So by adding oxygen to the system the PH will raise correct?

GSMclowns
01/19/2017, 10:01 AM
Yes, Mixing fresh air to your system will help raise the PH.
But I don't think you have anything to worry about. Your PH is fine.
In general, you only worry about PH when your house is air tight in the winter and you have a large SPS system that utilizes a calcium reactor to provide Alk and Cal.

scooter31707
01/19/2017, 10:18 AM
Your PH is fine. I haven't tested my PH in 2 years.

crawlerman
01/19/2017, 10:26 AM
Your skimmer is adding all the air you need. The problem is the quality of the inside air, high CO2. That said, your levels are fine. Worry about nitrates, Phosphates, alk, calcium and mag and let the pH go where it wants.

RogueGrown
01/19/2017, 11:15 AM
Your skimmer is adding all the air you need. The problem is the quality of the inside air, high CO2. That said, your levels are fine. Worry about nitrates, Phosphates, alk, calcium and mag and let the pH go where it wants.
I don't run a skimmer at the moment. Like I said it's running on circulation. I have an AC70 hooked up to it filled with live rock rubble more so for just a breeding ground for pods. It must be creating enough gas exchange it seems.

scybulski
01/19/2017, 11:17 AM
That PH is fine. Don't chase numbers... keep eye on your livestock.

RogueGrown
01/19/2017, 11:24 AM
Thank you all!!! My live stock is doing well. The tank has been running for almost 4 months now. I have 7 red leg hermits, one turbo, three nassarius snails, a peppermint shrimp (wearing out his welcome), a small watchman goby. I have a couple zoanthids and a green palys I just added. The palys won't show themselves yet but it's only been 48 hrs. Also a small piece of GSP.