PDA

View Full Version : how to tell the difference between MP10QD vs MP10ES with upgraded controller?

johnfallon135
01/18/2017, 10:18 PM
as the title states how can you tell? lol

scuzy
01/18/2017, 11:47 PM
The controller has no serial number on the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca1ore
01/19/2017, 07:35 AM
Does it matter? The wet and dry sides were not redesigned for the QD (unlike the MP40, which was).

CafeReef
01/19/2017, 08:46 AM
Easiest way I can tell is the ES chips/boards are green and the QD chips/boards are blue.

CafeReef
01/19/2017, 08:54 AM
Does it matter? The wet and dry sides were not redesigned for the QD (unlike the MP40, which was).

Yes, the way the controller works is it runs electronically different. The best explanation came in a video from Ecotech's president explaining the new chip. It effectively runs the motor like a merry go round at a childrens playground.

If you have one person spinning it, it will be somewhat jerky and slow down slightly before the one person spins it again. Giving a distinct "ramp up". This is how the ES chip works. Now if you have 10 people all spinning the merry go round at the same time, it is more fluid and effective and you see less of an immediate "ramp" so it's a smoother glide. This is done electronically in the QD chip. Now, how it does it I have no idea, this is just from the research I have done on it. I did notice mine was quieter after the upgrade.

johnfallon135
01/19/2017, 01:05 PM
aren't the newer MP QD powerheads 30% or so stronger?

CafeReef
01/19/2017, 01:21 PM
Thats possible, Im not certain so I wont comment one way or another, I just know that as ca1ore mentioned, only the MP40 got a new dryside, the MP10 remained the same, the only difference in the controller is how it electronically runs the dry side which is more efficient than in the ES board.

ktownhero
01/19/2017, 04:36 PM
aren't the newer MP QD powerheads 30% or so stronger?
Only the MP40

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ktownhero
01/19/2017, 04:37 PM
Yes, the way the controller works is it runs electronically different. The best explanation came in a video from Ecotech's president explaining the new chip. It effectively runs the motor like a merry go round at a childrens playground.

If you have one person spinning it, it will be somewhat jerky and slow down slightly before the one person spins it again. Giving a distinct "ramp up". This is how the ES chip works. Now if you have 10 people all spinning the merry go round at the same time, it is more fluid and effective and you see less of an immediate "ramp" so it's a smoother glide. This is done electronically in the QD chip. Now, how it does it I have no idea, this is just from the research I have done on it. I did notice mine was quieter after the upgrade.
Right, that's all in the controller. The wet and dry sides are irrelevant for the MP10 and MP60. Only the MP40 got redesigned hardware beyond the controller.

The improvements to the QD all lie within the power delivery. The actual pump is fundamentally the same, except for the MP40.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

johnfallon135
01/21/2017, 10:02 PM
even though the 40 model is prob their best seller i still find it weird they only redesigned one model lol

johnfallon135
01/21/2017, 10:07 PM
is there any difference from the silver and black sticker on the dry side models? guessing the silver ones are just older but otherwise the same?