PDA

View Full Version : My fish collection

Naraku
01/19/2017, 11:24 AM
I just wanted to start a thread of my fish collection journey.

so far

1) 1 Vanuatu Starcki from Diver'd Den made it thru the quarantine protocol.
It is in observation.

2) Heniochus chrysostomus from Bluezoo (2 months ago) has suddenly stopped eating. It would only eat squid and mysis pieces.
Its fins turned cloudy and had a velvet like sheen.
it is currently being treated as if it had velvet.
It is being concurrently treated with a brown varius heniochus and a ocellaris clown.

3) An Asfur angelfish and Majestic made it thru quarantine.
In observation. Asfur is fattening up. Majestic has stopped eating much and is getting skinny. It will only eat flakes.

scooter31707
01/19/2017, 12:34 PM
Have you treated for flukes?

Naraku
01/19/2017, 07:40 PM
No, I think the multiple formalin dips should have killed ther flukes.

I did ttm with formalin dips between. Also metronidazole and antibiotics in the tanks.

Have you treated for flukes?

alprazo
01/19/2017, 09:12 PM
Good luck with your fish. What is your exact QT treatment protocol?

scooter31707
01/20/2017, 07:47 AM
Very well could be velvet, if so are you treating with CP?

scooter31707
01/20/2017, 07:49 AM
those fish can be very picky, but my next opinion might be how they were collected, possible cyanide. Just a thought.

humaguy
01/20/2017, 12:54 PM
Good luck with your fish. What is your exact QT treatment protocol?

this

Naraku
01/20/2017, 06:55 PM
I do TTM with formalin dips between. levofloxacin and metronidazole for first two transfers.

So far there are no parasites to the best of my knowledge.
The cloudy fins on the heniochus seem to be bacteria. A few days of antibiotics cleared it up although his appetite is still poor.

Naraku
01/20/2017, 06:56 PM
I will do fw dips instead of formalin dips from now on except for fish that cannot handle it.

Naraku
01/20/2017, 07:14 PM
http://s666.photobucket.com/user/awwinterfall/media/Starcki%20Observation_zpsjetuverl.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

lonely starcki...

alprazo
01/21/2017, 05:58 AM
I would not stop Formalin dips for wild caught clownfish of if the LFS where you purchase your fish has signs of brook or Newley arrived clownfish. I would also only use antibiotics on fish that have ulcers and sores. Abrasions and fin tears should be watched. Antibiotics can cause unwanted side effects like appetite suppression, bowel dysfunction and liver toxicity on occasion. Prazi is also known to decrease appetite in some fish. As for you current protocol, it covers most. I would add chloroquine to cover immunized fish with velvet and keep dimilin on hand encase you pick up a fish the has bumps under the skin or visible pods. It is very safe but takes a while to work and will extend QT time.

You have taken the first and most successful step in fish keeping. If you look at the joined dates on our avatars you will notice that old timers all have a strict QT protocol.

Naraku
01/21/2017, 11:21 PM
yup. Thanks for the advice. I used metro because the only chloroquine I got is ich shield, which I read isn't pure.
I don't want to pay thousands of dollars to see a vet for prescription chloroquine.

I would not stop Formalin dips for wild caught clownfish of if the LFS where you purchase your fish has signs of brook or Newley arrived clownfish. I would also only use antibiotics on fish that have ulcers and sores. Abrasions and fin tears should be watched. Antibiotics can cause unwanted side effects like appetite suppression, bowel dysfunction and liver toxicity on occasion. Prazi is also known to decrease appetite in some fish. As for you current protocol, it covers most. I would add chloroquine to cover immunized fish with velvet and keep dimilin on hand encase you pick up a fish the has bumps under the skin or visible pods. It is very safe but takes a while to work and will extend QT time.

You have taken the first and most successful step in fish keeping. If you look at the joined dates on our avatars you will notice that old timers all have a strict QT protocol.