PDA

View Full Version : Puffer with spots

Chriss614
01/19/2017, 02:23 PM
My porcupine puffer (Spike) has somw white speckles on his fins and eyes. Im not sure what they are, hopefully not ich. He is eating ok and swimming around fine. Any ideas? Treatment?

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

scybulski
01/19/2017, 02:25 PM
QT/Hospital tank him straight away. Send pictures?

Chriss614
01/19/2017, 02:27 PM
QT/Hospital tank him straight away. Send pictures?
Heres a video. He moves to much to get a picture, its hard to see in the video but possible. https://vimeo.com/200240627

Mishri
01/19/2017, 02:54 PM
I can't see anything in the video. When was the last time you added something wet (coral/rock/fish/inverts) to the tank? Did you QT it?

Most likely Ich, some people just live with it in their tanks and move on.. sometimes the ich gets too bad and wipes out the tank though. It can depend on species, example, I had a powder blue tang that was badly infected and died, but no other fish even showed spots.

There are a couple of other things that appear as white spots.. next one up would be velvet which you have to treat or you'll lose fish, all fish need to be removed and treated with Chloroquine Phosphate if it's velvet. It's also effective against ich.

There is no reef safe treatment for either parasite... and removing only fish showing signs now wont help, as the tank is still infected, you'll need your tank to be without fish for 72-90+ days if it's ich, the longer the more likely it will have all died out.

Chriss614
01/19/2017, 04:50 PM
I can't see anything in the video. When was the last time you added something wet (coral/rock/fish/inverts) to the tank? Did you QT it?

Most likely Ich, some people just live with it in their tanks and move on.. sometimes the ich gets too bad and wipes out the tank though. It can depend on species, example, I had a powder blue tang that was badly infected and died, but no other fish even showed spots.

There are a couple of other things that appear as white spots.. next one up would be velvet which you have to treat or you'll lose fish, all fish need to be removed and treated with Chloroquine Phosphate if it's velvet. It's also effective against ich.

There is no reef safe treatment for either parasite... and removing only fish showing signs now wont help, as the tank is still infected, you'll need your tank to be without fish for 72-90+ days if it's ich, the longer the more likely it will have all died out.
My puffer and clown(thats all my fish right now) are going into QT now. Everyone seems to recomend cupramine for treating ick. I might use this but some people said it is super dangerous for puffers, is this true?

neiltus
01/19/2017, 07:01 PM
If you don't know what your doing with copper, you would be better served by TTM and reading the sticky regarding it and following that method.

Chriss614
01/19/2017, 07:10 PM
If you don't know what your doing with copper, you would be better served by TTM and reading the sticky regarding it and following that method.
From what I have read I need to maintain. .5 copper for 30 days. I was planning on using the seachem copper product. I am doing TTM but I want to be %100 sure that that the ick is gone so I wanna do a copper treatment too.