PDA

View Full Version : Just finished TTM... how do I know I'm ich free?

125mph
01/20/2017, 04:48 PM
I just completed TTM this morning. DT is to be fallow for another 10+ weeks.

I'm observing the fish in the QT but how do I know for sure that TTM worked? During the transfers, a few drops of water would enter into the new tank. I tried to transfer with the least amount of water but some water always gets over.

I have a regal, 2xclowns, a potters, a melanrus, and a purple tang. All appear healthy. I assume the tang is the most susceptible since tangs get ich easiest? , if he has no spots after another 9-10 weeks, I should be 100% confident?

pfan151
01/21/2017, 02:56 PM
I would be pretty confident if the tang doesn't show ich before your fallow period is over.

Tanthaitrung
01/21/2017, 07:31 PM
I just completed TTM this morning. DT is to be fallow for another 10+ weeks.

I'm observing the fish in the QT but how do I know for sure that TTM worked? During the transfers, a few drops of water would enter into the new tank. I tried to transfer with the least amount of water but some water always gets over.

I have a regal, 2xclowns, a potters, a melanrus, and a purple tang. All appear healthy. I assume the tang is the most susceptible since tangs get ich easiest? , if he has no spots after another 9-10 weeks, I should be 100% confident?
I guess, your DT will be fallow 72 days. Just let you know, some experts here recommend 90 days.

Did you do TTM in another room? QT also should be in another room. Be careful, the things you use to clean (filter shocks, plastic bukets ...) must be separated.

Yes, I think tangs are the most susceptible ich. Not sure 100% confident. I'm thinking to put an UV light in my fallow DT.

Best of luck

Mishri
01/22/2017, 01:50 AM
the water shouldn't matter in TTM, it relies on the life cycle where the ich infecting the fish has to encyst for a few days before any active ich can form...

however.. you can't be in 100% certainty that they don't have ich. Mostly likely following TTM you've removed it... however, there is a chance that ich simply attached again to the fish, rather than falling to the substrate.. no guarantees with that method.

scooter31707
01/25/2017, 10:31 AM
TTM is almost 99.9% effective if done corrected. I would observe closely while they are in the QT to see if they are flashing/scratching during this time.