PDA

View Full Version : Using probiotic reef salt with NOPO-x

timhhl
01/21/2017, 10:40 AM
Although I knew that it is not recommended Anyone of you are using the AF probiotic reef salt with Red Sea NOPO-x?
Will there be any adverse effect?
Thanks.

GoVols
01/21/2017, 03:48 PM
Although I knew that it is not recommended Anyone of you are using the AF probiotic reef salt with Red Sea NOPO-x?
Will there be any adverse effect?
Thanks.
You can use RS NOPOX with the AF Probiotic salt :)

I use some of the AF products that I've come to like and mix with other companies products that I like too.

timhhl
01/22/2017, 08:58 PM
Thanks.

plyle02
01/23/2017, 06:58 AM
It should be ok, just careful, it does reduce nitrates pretty quickly from my understanding :)

timhhl
01/23/2017, 09:02 AM
It should be ok, just careful, it does reduce nitrates pretty quickly from my understanding :)

My No3 read 0 now...

jpas
01/24/2017, 02:46 PM
My No3 read 0 now...

Hello,

So are you using the Probotic salt, Pro Bio-S, NP Pro and Nopox?

Can you mix all of these until the Pro Bio-S becomes effective?

Thanks

GoVols
01/24/2017, 06:09 PM
Hello,

Thanks
You would not want to dose NP Pro with NOPOX.

Both are carbon sources.

Bio Pro S = Bacteria

timhhl
01/25/2017, 07:33 AM
Hello,

Thanks

Not so yet. I'm waiting my tank to drop its KH under 8 (now is 10.2) before pouring the first 10% of Probiotic salt.

oopsmybad
02/14/2017, 03:18 AM
I was using NOPOX and probiotic salt and had very bad results my corals started to bleach themselves. Literally within days of when I stopped using NOPOX my corals colors came back. I now use NP Pro and Pro Bio S and things have been great.

jpas
02/14/2017, 07:05 PM
I was using NOPOX and probiotic salt and had very bad results my corals started to bleach themselves. Literally within days of when I stopped using NOPOX my corals colors came back. I now use NP Pro and Pro Bio S and things have been great.

Interesting, I was getting increasing nitrates and phosphates using NP Pro & Pro Bio S. I switched to nopox while still using the Probiotic salt and other AF additives with great success.

My nitrates are steady at 1ppm & phosphates are at 0.03ppm. They were climbing steadily out of control on the AF carbon source.

I'll try to go back to the NP Pro & Pro Bio S to see if that combo can control nutrients now that the Siporax has had a while to seed

aristocrat
03/07/2017, 01:07 PM
Interesting, I was getting increasing nitrates and phosphates using NP Pro & Pro Bio S. I switched to nopox while still using the Probiotic salt and other AF additives with great success.

My nitrates are steady at 1ppm & phosphates are at 0.03ppm. They were climbing steadily out of control on the AF carbon source.

I'll try to go back to the NP Pro & Pro Bio S to see if that combo can control nutrients now that the Siporax has had a while to seed

I was using NOPOX and had good results then I started to use reef salt np pro and pro bio s and nitrates have shot up to 25ppm and phos to 0.15. Been 4-5 months and no change. Had brown algae outbreak too and all sps perished through stn and now slowly LPS lose heads one after the other. I now see green hair algae sprouting here n there at the dead sps areas.

So I started dosing just a very little nopox per day n lets see what happens. Any suggestions?

aristocrat
03/07/2017, 01:10 PM

I was using NOPOX and had good results then I started to use reef salt np pro and pro bio s and nitrates have shot up to 25ppm and phos to 0.15. Been 4-5 months and no change. Had brown algae outbreak too and all sps perished through stn and now slowly LPS lose heads one after the other. I now see green hair algae sprouting here n there at the dead lps areas.

So I started dosing just a very little nopox per day n lets see what happens. Any suggestions?

Piper27
03/08/2017, 11:31 AM
You should be able to mix whatever carbon sourced you want together as long as your experienced enough to know the signs of overdoses and stressed coral. I have not heard of any real information on any issues that come from mixing carbon sources.
I have dosed vodka, vinegar, and no pro with pro bio s together with no issues but the no pro was to expensive for the amount of nutrients it reduced so I stopped. I still use pro bio s though.

Piper27
03/08/2017, 11:33 AM
If I was AF I would suggest to only use my product as well, to avoid claims of issues and to make money.

Aquaforest
03/10/2017, 01:13 AM
Probiotic Reef Salt + Pro Bio S + -NP Pro is enough

CoralNutter
03/10/2017, 02:02 AM
too many people impatient complaining that there nutrients were too high using NP pro and Pro Bio S yes my nutrients went up when i switched from Vinegar but eventually they dropped within a few days when it kicked in. When switching the old bacteria will die off and cause nutrients you can do some waterchanges to combat this in the time being.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

ReeferWR
03/11/2017, 10:20 PM
Thanks

aristocrat
03/15/2017, 05:07 AM
too many people impatient complaining that there nutrients were too high using NP pro and Pro Bio S yes my nutrients went up when i switched from Vinegar but eventually they dropped within a few days when it kicked in. When switching the old bacteria will die off and cause nutrients you can do some waterchanges to combat this in the time being.

Even after 4 months of wait and hair algae and bubble algae started to sprout here and there despite of water changes. Lol 4 months is still impatient?

Anyways, I have lost several corals due to change from NOPOX to NP PRO, probably because there is no probiotic salt yet available here in aus thebacterial strains that aquaforest is claiming to grow using NP PRO are taking their own sweet time to establish. However I have had brown alagae grow everywhere including on coral surfaces as I changed from NOPOX to NP PRO and PRO BIOS.

Every tank is different I think and reefing is all about getting the right tune in every aspect such as flow filtration and dosing!

Cheers.

aristocrat
03/15/2017, 05:08 AM
Probiotic Reef Salt + Pro Bio S + -NP Pro is enough

Probiotic reef salt is not yet sold is australia

Piper27
03/18/2017, 08:15 AM

True, i wonder why AF does not instruct people to make small changes and cut back on one product and slowly add the other? This would help with die off. I liked using np pro with other carbon sources but it just didn't affect nitrates and phosphates as much as vodka and vinegar did pertaining to the amount I paid for each. I ran them together for a long time but never tried just np pro. It would have burned my pockets up.

CoralNutter
03/22/2017, 05:53 AM
Even after 4 months of wait and hair algae and bubble algae started to sprout here and there despite of water changes. Lol 4 months is still impatient?

Anyways, I have lost several corals due to change from NOPOX to NP PRO, probably because there is no probiotic salt yet available here in aus thebacterial strains that aquaforest is claiming to grow using NP PRO are taking their own sweet time to establish. However I have had brown alagae grow everywhere including on coral surfaces as I changed from NOPOX to NP PRO and PRO BIOS.

Every tank is different I think and reefing is all about getting the right tune in every aspect such as flow filtration and dosing!

Cheers.

CoralNutter
03/22/2017, 05:57 AM

Cheers.
Sounds like you need to get your nutrients under control first with proper husbandry techniques. Any carbon source is going to give you a hard time if you are trying to correct your high nutrients with it this is not the purpose. You want to get your nutrients down and then use the carbon source to bring them to ulns levels and maintain. This seems like a common misconception and why carbon dosing is recommended to advanced reefers. This product has worked well for me and many others so i can say there is nothing wrong with the product.

ClownNut
03/25/2017, 08:51 AM

Cheers.
AF≠Magic fix all method.

i change over from NOPOX to NP Pro and Bio Pro S,i only did a 12.5% water change before switch method. the change over was as smooth as it can be. i test daily for NO3&PO4. i dont see any significant rise on my nutrients. only no3 went from 0 to maybe <0.01PPM for 3 days, then it back down to 0 again. PO4 drop from .25 to .1. i think i am NO3 limited now. no coral lost or coral change. i am only using 50% of the recommended amount on Bio Pro S and NP Pro.
i dont see how change one carbon source to other will cause issue. didnt you keep check of the nutrients when you change over?

aristocrat
03/25/2017, 02:12 PM
Sounds like you need to get your nutrients under control first with proper husbandry techniques. Any carbon source is going to give you a hard time if you are trying to correct your high nutrients with it this is not the purpose. You want to get your nutrients down and then use the carbon source to bring them to ulns levels and maintain. This seems like a common misconception and why carbon dosing is recommended to advanced reefers. This product has worked well for me and many others so i can say there is nothing wrong with the product.

I totally agree on the misconception part, I was in that misconception for sure. I'm absolutely not blaming the product, I was only trying to say that there is some chemical imbalance in the water probably and that is causing brown algae or dinoflagellates in my system. It is obviously evident to my eyes that the day I dose PRO BIOS is the day I see the algae grow.

I spoke to an advanced reefer yesterday and he has told me that it clearly is dinoflagellates issue that might have occurred due to chemical imbalance in the system. He also told me that dosing NOPOX may cause this issue on the long run as it has molasses and methanol that enhances one particular strain of bacteria that consume some types of elements more thus causing a chemical imbalance, just the same thing that you said about carbon dosing causing headaches which again from my recent experience I totally agree. In the past I was dumping in a tonn of food and was happily dosing NOPOX thinking that nitrates and phosphates were zeros, this was because may be I was not clearly explained all this, and I did do research and watched videos and no where this knowledge was shared.

I thought AF is all about controlling nutrients by enhancing bacterial growth isn't it?

Could you please elaborate on what good husbandry is? I really wish the product works for me. However I have been using a lot of other products from AF and Imm not blaming the product at all.

However, if you have any solution suggest it so I can try that and see if I can get things back in control. At this stage I started dosing NOPOX and all the dino has retreated and also see some polyp extension. Will test nitrates again today and post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aristocrat
03/25/2017, 02:14 PM
AF≠Magic fix all method.

i change over from NOPOX to NP Pro and Bio Pro S,i only did a 12.5% water change before switch method. the change over was as smooth as it can be. i test daily for NO3&PO4. i dont see any significant rise on my nutrients. only no3 went from 0 to maybe <0.01PPM for 3 days, then it back down to 0 again. PO4 drop from .25 to .1. i think i am NO3 limited now. no coral lost or coral change. i am only using 50% of the recommended amount on Bio Pro S and NP Pro.

i dont see how change one carbon source to other will cause issue. didnt you keep check of the nutrients when you change over?

Thanks for your response bro, could you please refer to the above response.

ClownNut
03/25/2017, 02:27 PM
i did have dino when i started this tank, i was using NOPOX at that time, but i don't think nopox was the cause, since the last couple years seem a lot of system getting dino. DinoX help me kick dino out of my system within 7 days. of course, i have a friend that have a different strain of dino, they love clean water, dose dinox have no effect, but dosing KNO3 is the solution for him.
dont do water change when you have dino.
GL hope you can kill the dino fast, they are PITA.
carbon source dosing is using to control nutrient, if you have high nutrient it will help. as like any method they all have limits, for most NO3 limited are a common problem. since the bacteria use NO3-PO4 about 16-1 ratio. you usually bottom out on NO3 before the PO4 hit 0.

aristocrat
03/25/2017, 02:34 PM
i did have dino when i started this tank, i was using NOPOX at that time, but i don't think nopox was the cause, since the last couple years seem a lot of system getting dino. DinoX help me kick dino out of my system within 7 days. of course, i have a friend that have a different strain of dino, they love clean water, dose dinox have no effect, but dosing KNO3 is the solution for him.
dont do water change when you have dino.
GL hope you can kill the dino fast, they are PITA

Lol see this is the issue. One advanced reefer told me my issue is due to chemical imbalances and nutrients and perform 10% water changes for more than a month daily. Another one told me to slowly stop dosing NOPOX gradually and may be think of a black out for 4 days that will kill everything off and then may be start vodka+vinegar+sugar combo but do a lot of research before you try and mix the right concoction.

I'm a bit confused on what exactly to do. But however as I said I'm not dumping a lot of food like before and NOPOX is getting things to control. Furthermore I'm using very minimal (i.e. 2ml) of NOPOX a day, so lets see how we go and will update you soon [emoji106] I will also test nitrates today and post them here.