PDA

View Full Version : Beach Mangrove

Yellow_donkey
01/21/2017, 07:17 PM
Wife and I were walking along beach and come across endless mangrove stems/pods. Many with leafs sprouted and roots starting.

What I want to know is how do I clean/prepare these for my refrugium. Thank you.

Jessie2406
01/21/2017, 07:26 PM
I just cleaned them in tank water as I do water change and float them on Styrofoam till they are long enough to root

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Yellow_donkey
01/21/2017, 08:05 PM
Thanks, so just rinse in tank water, no leech ate or pest concern. They were air exposed on beach. Seems like I should do somthing extra before right into tank, but I may be wrong.

Ron Reefman
01/24/2017, 06:02 AM
They don't care if they are in fresh water or salt water. Just take a glass of water (either kind) and set the propagule in it. It will grow. I have about a 90% success rate picking up ones that haven't even sprouted roots or leave yet. You can even completely submerge them in a tank with the tip stuck in the sand and it will grow underwater.

There is no need to do anything special to prep them other than a good wash off in the sink. If they fail to grow, one end or the other will start to turn black. It won't harm the tank, but you might as well pull it as it won't grow.

Jessie2406
01/24/2017, 08:56 AM
That's cool I didn't know I could just stick them in the sand, that's great

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

saltpeter
01/28/2017, 11:51 AM
Ditto.