PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed with the customer care from Bulk Reef Supply on recent purchase

brad65ford
01/22/2017, 08:46 AM
Hi guys need help!

Early this month after saving to purchase a T-5 fixture I called BRS and asked for advise in picking the correct t5 fixture for my SPS 525xl system. Went into great detail of my system and the output / par that my coral have been receiving from my 2 Orphek's V3's running 100 percent on all channels and corals health very well etc.. Moving forward 2 weeks ago i received the Matrixx 8x80w unit by their recommendations along with a mix of different bulbs. Spent a good week and a half scratching my head trying to understand/adjust why the par out put was so low as well as the heat we so hot and getting hotter. Then I started searching to see what others experience which it seems I'm not the only one with these issues. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2555781&page=6
After removing the splash guard shield and dropping the unit a few inches from the water surface i was still under the par my Orpheks were achieving at 15 1/2 above the water surface. The par did start out strong but dropped continuously as the fixture/bulbs heated up, they dropped over 250-300 par! Some of the bulbs have already started too cook and burn on the ends with when the splash shield was on. Having compared this to my friends ATI unit its horrible to the point i have removed the fixture and called BRS up and asked for a refund process since this unit wasn't designed correctly by any means. They said NO we can not except this back and pointed me to CoralVue, Coralvue was nice and willing to forward my questions and concerns to Giesemenne who did their best to state this in normal and its fine. So now I'm left $1,100 unit $330 in bulbs that will not be used that BRS will not refund or take back. I can not believe they would support a unit like this when they darn well now there is heat related issues and it doesn't hold a candle to an ATI unit for less cost. What a waste of money and time, I've been a huge supporter of BRS for many years, my wife can attest to the thousand of dollars I've spend with them throughout the years and to have this type of purchase go south with no help has been so upsetting. Normally I'm the kind of guy that doesn't say anything and just takes the bullet but they surely know this unit is no where as good as an ATI especially for wanting to grow sps's need high par that has been proven for years. Pray this doesn't happen to other though it seems as though it already has.

Brad

ReefCowboy
01/22/2017, 10:24 AM
I was also considering the Matrixx and also am a routine shopper at BRS. It is strange to me that you come asking for advice about a lighting system that you are not familiar with, and the vendor, BRS recommends a unit that underdelivers and heats up so much that you will have to replace bulbs every 2 months to keep par at half of what competitor fixtures(sold for much less-ATI) units offer.
Also pushing you to go deal with a third party for a product that is 2 weeks old is absolutely unprofessional. Quite honestly, at this day and age, customers do have the rights to fight and get a refund when a product doesnt deliver. Thanks BRS, but im taking my money elsewhere.

brad65ford
01/22/2017, 10:47 AM
Thanks ReefCowBoy, We still haven't heard anything back from either companies which is sad in two days. Going to contact our CC company now.

ReefCowboy
01/22/2017, 11:39 AM
Why didnt they recommend you the ATI, which they also sell? You were asking for their advice, they would still win with the other choice...To help others, you should start a thread warning everyone to not buy the Matrixx. I came accross the ATI x Matrix thread but would be soon pulling the trigger on the last one. Thankfully saw your experience.

Dealseer
01/22/2017, 12:41 PM
FWIW, I've had trouble getting response from BRS customer service lately too.

windlasher
01/22/2017, 02:09 PM
To be fair, at the bottom of the contact page it does state that "All warranties are handled by the manufacturer." They then go on to list many, many, phone numbers for the products that they sell.

I think that their point would be that under a certain period of time, the manufacturer should be willing to refund or replace it with no questions asked. I would also ask, why you didn't research offline on here in the first place. Never ever take the word of a seller or manufacturer on any purchase. I have a feeling that if it were a BRS branded product, you would have your RMA info already.

Disclaimer: I live near BRS and know these guys and have had nothing but warm fuzzies from them throughout the years but then again I have never had a product fail so I can't speak to that.

ReefCowboy
01/22/2017, 02:42 PM
To be fair, at the bottom of the contact page it does state that "All warranties are handled by the manufacturer." They then go on to list many, many, phone numbers for the products that they sell.

I think that their point would be that under a certain period of time, the manufacturer should be willing to refund or replace it with no questions asked. I would also ask, why you didn't research offline on here in the first place. Never ever take the word of a seller or manufacturer on any purchase. I have a feeling that if it were a BRS branded product, you would have your RMA info already.

Disclaimer: I live near BRS and know these guys and have had nothing but warm fuzzies from them throughout the years but then again I have never had a product fail so I can't speak to that.

There has been lots and lots of comparissons between T5 units, including the Matrixx. There is nothing out there that states that the unit runs so hot that you notice par decreasing within hours of its functioning, nor that bulbs cook so bad that within a week of use their bases start to burn out.
Like I posted previously, I was looking to buy it, and asked Brad how was his experience, when I found the nightmare this product is.

The guy bought the unit on Jan 3rd and a week after contacted the seller explaining he has serious concerns.
I do sales for a living, there are many ways to carry warranties. Manufacturers can claim "small lettering at the website" or anything really when claims come up. Legally at many occasions a company can be within means and screw customers and get away with it after a transaction is finished.
There are ways however to analyze the customers experience and do what is right being that the person who bought it wasnt given what expected especially so soon after receiving it.

Dealseer
01/22/2017, 02:45 PM
:debi:

windlasher
01/22/2017, 10:01 PM
There has been lots and lots of comparissons between T5 units, including the Matrixx. There is nothing out there that states that the unit runs so hot that you notice par decreasing within hours of its functioning, nor that bulbs cook so bad that within a week of use their bases start to burn out.
Like I posted previously, I was looking to buy it, and asked Brad how was his experience, when I found the nightmare this product is.

The guy bought the unit on Jan 3rd and a week after contacted the seller explaining he has serious concerns.
I do sales for a living, there are many ways to carry warranties. Manufacturers can claim "small lettering at the website" or anything really when claims come up. Legally at many occasions a company can be within means and screw customers and get away with it after a transaction is finished.
There are ways however to analyze the customers experience and do what is right being that the person who bought it wasnt given what expected especially so soon after receiving it.

Not disagreeing. When I ran my business, I had an agreement with the stores that carried our products which was if a customer complains about anything, replace it and we will make you whole on your next shipment.

If I were BRS, I would have just said, ok, send it back and I'll refund. I have never known them to be malicious about anything so I am just wondering why in this case they are taking a hard line especially so soon after purchase but for whatever the reason, the website does say, All warranties are handled by the manufacturer.

Maybe the OP should post to the manufacturer on twitter. I find that works well in these cases since they don't like thousands of people seeing bad press.

Treasure Coast
01/23/2017, 07:00 AM
You might want to try private messaging their rep on here RT-BRS (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/member.php?u=327414), They are usually top notch and he might have a better handle on what to do or why. Good luck.

brad65ford
01/23/2017, 07:49 AM
Thank you TC, i pm'd them explaining the situation and details. Surely hope someone from one of the party's will get back to us today. It seems no one wants to deal with this issue.

rtparty
01/23/2017, 07:54 AM

Google "ATI vs Geisemann" and find the link to an Ultimate Reef thread. It is from 2009 so nearly 8 years we've had that information.

Geisemann T5 fixtures have always under performed. My biggest issue is that Gmann has NEVER taken responsibility for poorly designed fixtures. When you ask them why they won't use cooling fans on the bulbs, they will tell you it isn't necessary and bad for the components inside. Something about salty, humid air getting in the fixture. If that is truly happening, I'd much rather have the fans to "dry" things out.

brad65ford
01/23/2017, 07:59 AM
Agree with you rtparty, what's crazy is I actually did searching before I purchase and didn't find anything regarding the heat and design issues. Possibly didn't search hard and long enough. Regardless why would BRS support this thing and why would they recommend it in the first place if there are known issues. One would think they would have a small clue about this, right!

valeriebrs
01/23/2017, 08:17 AM
Thank you TC, i pm'd them explaining the situation and details. Surely hope someone from one of the party's will get back to us today. It seems no one wants to deal with this issue.

Good morning! Can you please shoot me the PM? I will check in with our customer service manager right away this morning so we can resolve this.

valeriebrs
01/23/2017, 08:18 AM
FWIW, I've had trouble getting response from BRS customer service lately too.

Good morning,

Can you shoot me a PM with more information so I can make sure this does not happen in the future? Thank you!

brad65ford
01/23/2017, 10:17 AM
Thanks BRS, we were contacted today about this matter.

ReefCowboy
01/23/2017, 12:09 PM
Wow, thanks BRS. We all appreciate the help

valeriebrs
01/23/2017, 12:49 PM
Thanks BRS, we were contacted today about this matter.

Wow, thanks BRS. We all appreciate the help

Happy to help :)

Jae30001
02/09/2017, 07:47 AM
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

I placed an order with BRS, light looked like UPS played a few games of "kick the box " They were extremely helpful and replaced the light without hassle with upgraded shipping.. Very pleased!!!!

Dealseer
02/11/2017, 08:33 AM
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

I placed an order with BRS, light looked like UPS played a few games of "kick the box " They were extremely helpful and replaced the light without hassle with upgraded shipping.. Very pleased!!!!

That is excellent! Seems their service is hit or miss.

windlasher
02/11/2017, 09:22 AM
Just my two cents, since the OP came here to complain and was recently contacted by BRS, I would hope the OP would do them (and us) the courtesy of returning to let us know how it was handled. It's only fair.

Treasure Coast
02/13/2017, 10:28 AM
From my experience BRS customer service has been as good as Amazon. They are mine and I'm sure many others on here, the go to store for reef supplies.

125mph
02/17/2017, 08:18 PM
I buy a LOT of stuff from BRS, simply because I like their prices, sales and points.. However, I did notice their warranty page stating that any products that do not work or are defective, should go directly to the manufacturer. I found that strange.

Earlier this year, I brought a refractometer from them that was obviously a dud.. defective... I thought I would get a return label but I had to mail it back on my own expense.. gag...

I would definitely say they are not amazon. They sure do like to say "Great Question" to any inquire... lol..

guarda
02/26/2017, 02:36 PM
I sell watches that range from $100-$20,000 and I stand behind every one I sell. If I weren't confident that a maker would stand behind their watch if issues arise, it wouldn't be in my window. Luckily in this hobby, we have lots of vendor/Mfgr. choices in 2017. Thanks for sharing.