PDA

View Full Version : I want coralline algae

DrewCam
01/22/2017, 01:51 PM
I seeded my tank with about 50# of fiji live rock that is now clean and cured after a couple rounds of turkey basting detritus and a hair algae bloom. The problem is it's been really slow to grow any coralline algae. My levels are all pretty spot on (no NH3,NO2,NO3, alk is like 8-9, calcium 475, temp 78). I'm starting to get some regular green micro algae growing on the glass but when I scrub it there are these tiny little whitish filaments (like tiny hairs) still clinging to the glass. They'll come off but it takes a lot more elbow grease. Two questions: what are these little hairs, and what can I expect as far as coralline growth?

jlmawp
01/22/2017, 05:31 PM
I seeded my tank with about 50# of fiji live rock that is now clean and cured after a couple rounds of turkey basting detritus and a hair algae bloom. The problem is it's been really slow to grow any coralline algae. My levels are all pretty spot on (no NH3,NO2,NO3, alk is like 8-9, calcium 475, temp 78). I'm starting to get some regular green micro algae growing on the glass but when I scrub it there are these tiny little whitish filaments (like tiny hairs) still clinging to the glass. They'll come off but it takes a lot more elbow grease. Two questions: what are these little hairs, and what can I expect as far as coralline growth?

Do you have any coralline at all? Like, on your rock or snails? You'll need existing coralline to grow it. If not, you'll need to buy something with coralline encrusted on it to seed the tank.

mysticobra
01/22/2017, 06:54 PM
Do you have any coralline at all? Like, on your rock or snails? You'll need existing coralline to grow it. If not, you'll need to buy something with coralline encrusted on it to seed the tank.

Thanks for that information. In all my years I never knew that. Seriously.
I've been trying to get some to grow myself.
Richard.

ttmtven
01/22/2017, 07:22 PM
If you have a rock with some coralline algae (either in ur tank or from someone), you can scrape some off and seed ur tank using a wave maker for broadcast coverage. That's how I seed my tank and see growth in a few weeks. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

mysticobra
01/22/2017, 07:46 PM
Thank you. Gonna give it a shot.
Richard.

neiltus
01/22/2017, 08:37 PM
There have been about 20 recent threads on CA...almost seems like someone saw it on TV or something. Might look at those as well.

I personally think that there is no need for one to actively seed it or promote it. If you buy stuff and add it to your tank, it will eventually show. Maybe seeding helps, never tried it.

My growth took off when I started dripping Kalk. I think the increase in pH can help it along as well.

DrewCam
01/22/2017, 08:39 PM
Yeah. All the rock I seeded the tank with was raw, fresh fiji rock. Plenty of coralline. I'm just not seeing it spreading as fast as I have in tanks Ive had in the past. Just a little growing on my Vortech but none on the glass. Maybe Im just being impatient.

RoxannaBanana
01/22/2017, 08:46 PM
There's this YouTuber who posted a video on creating a "coralline algae smoothie" to amp up your growth. I can't remember the specifics, but you could search it. He basically took his rocks with algae on it, then added some stuff to makes it super algae, then blended it, and poured it into a high flow area to attach to rock. But yeah, you need existing algae to seed your tank.

RoxannaBanana
01/22/2017, 08:48 PM
Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zB8AmhtyEY&sns=em

Cliving1
01/23/2017, 06:30 AM

Thats not the only way to get that type of algae. Healthy and consistent water parameters are most important.

Jscwerve
01/23/2017, 08:32 AM
I wish I could give you mine.

Cleaning the glass takes up more time than water changes. Once it takes off, keep a close eye on calcium too. I think it's the biggest consumer in my tank.

Purple rocks are nice, but I'd rather not have it at this point.

lionfish300
01/24/2017, 08:07 PM
I wish I could give you mine.

Cleaning the glass takes up more time than water changes. Once it takes off, keep a close eye on calcium too. I think it's the biggest consumer in my tank.

Purple rocks are nice, but I'd rather not have it at this point. Yep not too fond of scraping theses thing off the glass

davehead86
01/24/2017, 08:49 PM
Yep not too fond of scraping theses thing off the glass

Yeah. Trying to keep it off my beautiful black back wall is such a pain. Ive given up on trying to keep it off the plastic overflows, its just not possible.

scooter31707
01/25/2017, 10:12 AM
Be careful for what you ask for. I got some and now want to get rid of it. Gets on my nerves.

Scubareefman
01/25/2017, 10:50 AM
I buy small pieces live rock that's has the algae I like such as platting purple. I use a cheap tooth brush and scrub the plates while in direct flow from a power head. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlmawp
01/25/2017, 10:55 AM
Thats not the only way to get that type of algae. Healthy and consistent water parameters are most important.

I didn't think coralline appeared from nowhere like nuisance algaes. Thought it had to come in on LR or a transplant in order to grow at all.

Cliving1
01/26/2017, 06:28 AM
If its not naturally occurring how did the first coraline algae start? You know what I mean? Ocean didnt take a piece from someones tank to get started.

roli112
01/26/2017, 09:18 AM
If its not naturally occurring how did the first coraline algae start? You know what I mean? Ocean didnt take a piece from someones tank to get started.

That doesn't make sense, how was the first person created? how was the first fish created? What came first the chicken or the egg?

Roycph
01/26/2017, 09:24 AM
Yup you must have some LR with coraline algae attach it first,and a good water parameters,without it coraline cannot spread in your tank..give it some time, it took about 4 Months to see coraline algae starts spreading

jlmawp
01/26/2017, 10:42 AM

Evolution in the ocean over millions of years is very different from several months in a fish tank, though...

Are you suggesting that everyone has there own species of coralline that evolved independently of one another, but somehow all end up looking the same?

I'm thinking you're messing with me now.

Cliving1
01/26/2017, 06:02 PM
Not trying to **** anyone off I actually enjoy discussion as such. To roli's statement, thats defineable by evolution if you believe in it. I dont think we need to discuss, and species would help your argument, not fish or people. To jlmawp's statement, not messing just having conversation. Not suggesting everyone has their own. But if anyone can grow it in their tank with healthy parameters,time, and no introduction of this algae, why would you need to seed it? Sometimes I dont get my point accross in typing so if I am not clear please advise.

CrayolaViolence
01/26/2017, 06:13 PM
In my experience snails, especially turbo snails, and serth snails will have coralline on their shells. (I've gotten all types this way). Buy a dozen and let them spread it around.

neiltus
01/26/2017, 07:27 PM
Just go buy some purple up, not really. But if you need to feel like your doing something and responsible for it and want to spend $$.

Or the smoothie...do that (did not even watch it)

kupadupapupa
01/26/2017, 08:21 PM
Coralline algae is a wierd creature. In my first 20 gallon and then my 50 gallon only hair algae flourished. In my current 125 gallon I haven't done water changes, additives in one year and the Coraline grows fine. I think its all in the lighting and not changing water often because it removes the free floating Coraline algae.

I've tried every single type of lighting in the past, VHO's, MH, PC, T5, you name it and all they did was promote hair algae. LED seems to be the only one that doesn't promote bad algae growth and only promotes the Coraline algae. I also have stopped running GFO and carbon 2 years ago because they also contributed to the lack of pink and green Coraline growth.

zaq11
01/26/2017, 10:37 PM
I get rocks has coralline algae and place it in the tank and make sure the calcium and alkalinity are good and has good light , and give it time few weeks , and it will grow all over , even on the glass and the pumps

CrayolaViolence
01/27/2017, 03:12 AM
+1 on the lighting. It does make a difference. My coralline algae growth went from 0-60 when I went to t5 lighting.

oldpaddy
01/27/2017, 06:42 AM
I have seen tanks that grow it everywhere and I have seen tanks that had tons of it on the liverock, but within a year it's completely gone. Personally I see it grow best on plastic and uncleaned glass. I have a mixture of Marco, petco, and real liverock, and after 2+ years some Marco has a little on it, but nothing like the overflows and my sump. I'd say I have more sponges than coraline algae on the petco and Marco rocks.

MiddletoM
01/27/2017, 07:55 AM
after 1 year my tank is now growing it fairly quickly. I have noticed its growing much more on my gyres and my black overflow box. There are patches on the rocks but its nothing compared to the amount growing on the plastics. None on the glass but im cleaning it pretty frequently.