PDA

View Full Version : Algae in Sand

malate
01/22/2017, 10:26 PM
:angryfire:

This stuff has been popping up over the last 3 weeks in the front area of my sand bed where's no rocks.

Salifert Tests
PO4 = 0.03
NO3 = 0

The flow in this area of the tank is relatively weak - maybe it's flow?. Is there a critter I can get that will consume this stuff? A conch? I've seen my Tail Spot Blenny jab at it time to time, but its not enough to manage it.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

(Sorry for sorry pic, it's just fussy algae)

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n425/garettmalate/Algae_012317.jpg

AlSimmons
01/23/2017, 05:09 PM
Can you take another picture without the blues on?

mcgyvr
01/23/2017, 05:14 PM
Looks like regular green hair algae..
I can tell that because I've learned to adjust my eyes perception of blue light based on the fact that people seem to only post pictures with the blue lights on around here :p

How old is the tank?
I'd bet its simply just a new tank and its pretty normal and it will pass as the tank matures provided you keep those phosphates and nitrates low..

malate
01/23/2017, 05:17 PM
Looks like regular green hair algae..
I can tell that because I've learned to adjust my eyes perception of blue light based on the fact that people seem to only post pictures with the blue lights on around here :p

How old is the tank?
I'd bet its simply just a new tank and its pretty normal and it will pass as the tank matures provided you keep those phosphates and nitrates low..

I have a white period too lol. I'll try to snap a pic of white lighting period later.

And yeah it maybe because it's a relatively young system, but I didn't really have this problem when I was running my 29 gallon cube for a few years. It's just ugly to me.

mcgyvr
01/23/2017, 05:35 PM
Just siphon it out on your next water change..

barrysalt
01/24/2017, 04:14 PM
Two things: make sure that you have a vigorous water flow over the sand (but not so much it blows it all over) and
try getting a couple of diamond gobys--they constantly keep sand turning over in their search for food and that equals little if any algae getting started. Good luck...