PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer suggestion for 170 gallon display

VJV
01/24/2017, 09:27 AM
Hi, I have a 170 gallon display with a 55 gallon sump (including refugium) with (currently) a light fish load.

1x Powder blue Tang - adult
1x Regal Angel - adult
1x Foxface (juvenile)
1x Yellow eye kole (small)
2x Clowns (adults)
3x Anthias (adults)
1x Chromis (adult)
1x Orchid Dottyback (adult)

I believe I currently have about 40inch of fish but plan on adding a yellow Tang, a six line Wrasse, a royal grama and a trio of yellow tail damsels down the road.

Would you recommend the Double Cone 180 or the 200 for this setup? Also, would you say having the RD3 is necessary? Do not Not really understand the need to control the skimmer pump.

Many thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slief
01/24/2017, 11:38 AM
For that size display, I would suggest the Double Cone 200. You could get away with the 180 but you're kind of at the limit for the 180 given your load.

VJV
01/24/2017, 11:39 AM
For that size display, I would suggest the Double Cone 200. You could get away with the 180 but you're kind of at the limit for the 180 given your load.

Thanks [emoji106]!

VJV
01/24/2017, 12:15 PM

Also, forgot to mention that I have a Theilling Rollermat filter that constantly polishes de water so the skimmer has its job cut out. I believe the filter fleece is around 25 microns so it really removes a ton of waste.

slief
01/24/2017, 01:46 PM
Also, forgot to mention that I have a Theilling Rollermat filter that constantly polishes de water so the skimmer has its job cut out. I believe the filter fleece is around 25 microns so it really removes a ton of waste.

The roller mat will remove solids but the skimmer removes dissolved organics so they kind of serve a different purpose even though some of the solids it removes do turn into dissolved organics if left in the system. I still would suggest the 200.