PDA

View Full Version : New derasa

tundracub
01/25/2017, 03:09 PM
Got this guy about three weeks ago. Still seems to have good color and there is new shell growth. Mantle is fully extended during daylight hours and the clam is very reactive to shadows. My only concern is that the inhalent syphon seems to be a little large in my opinion. Params are good. Salinty at .026. Nitate 0. Phosphate .05. Calcium 460. Dkh 9. Have 165 watt full spectrum with blues at 100% and whites at 40% . https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170125/99595d18be1840722877e616c90c5ade.jpg

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

DSMreefer
01/25/2017, 05:45 PM
Did you acclimate it to the light? I've read that the mouth being really open for long periods of time can indicate "gaping". I know mine only opens it's mouth when it expelles water and for a very short period of time. Most of the time is closed up pretty tight. I'm no expert and have only owed mine for about 7 months now but it has grown really well and fast. Yours may be completely healthy and that's just the way it sits. If it's showing new shell growth and extending its mantle I wouldn't be too worried. Just keep a close eye on it for awhile.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Mike Ordner
02/20/2017, 09:17 PM
I do not see an issue. As long as you are seeing new growth it will be ok. Mine pumps lots of water and it is open wide similar to the picture. Mine has been in my tank for over four years that way.

MondoBongo
02/21/2017, 02:49 PM
i've seen my make a similar gape for periods after large upheavals like a tank move. usually it doesn't last 3 weeks, more like up to a week, but all other indicators you've listed sound good.

i wouldn't worry too much about it. i would just keep an eye on it, make sure no one is picking on it, maybe check your params a little more frequently, etc...

if there was something else off about it like bad growth edge, or slow response to stimuli, then i would get more concerned, but as those things sound perfectly fine, i would just let him settle in.

NYCBOB
03/05/2017, 09:45 AM
it looks fine. no need to worry.