PDA

View Full Version : 210 Gallon Reef Build

Ing
01/26/2017, 01:24 PM
I finally bit the bullet and bought a 210 DT off craigslist. This will be my first reef tank and any advice is appreciated!

The DT has dual overflows, one on each end and measures 72x24x28.

My next step is planning the sump/refugium. I plan to use a Bubble Magus Curve 9 skimmer. I am looking into using a 75 gallon glass tank as a sump. From my calculations I need about 22-25 gallons worth of space for overflow in the event of power failure. Has anyone here used a 75 as a sump with this size DT? Any design ideas?

worm5406
01/26/2017, 08:50 PM
Welcome to the club! ALSO Welcome to ReefCentral.

There are lots of people on here that will answer all your questions.

I have a large sump for my 180+120 two DT's piped into one sump. I do believe it is 75. LOL..

I will have to go and look/measure. Long day at work.

Yes I have a 75 sump. It works wonderful too. I have mine set to about 20g power off overflow space. I actually have about 5 more gallons above that, but that is for safety.

Here is a two year old video of it:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gYeZfCT9z0Q?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have since upgraded the skimmer and a few other things. My other videos show more items.

IvanTheTerrible
01/26/2017, 09:37 PM
I finally bit the bullet and bought a 210 DT off craigslist. This will be my first reef tank and any advice is appreciated!

The DT has dual overflows, one on each end and measures 72x24x28.

My next step is planning the sump/refugium. I plan to use a Bubble Magus Curve 9 skimmer. I am looking into using a 75 gallon glass tank as a sump. From my calculations I need about 22-25 gallons worth of space for overflow in the event of power failure. Has anyone here used a 75 as a sump with this size DT? Any design ideas?

I'm using a 75 for a sump. A bigger sump would let you have a bigger refugium (if you plan to have one) but 75 should be big enough for some equipment and overflow. I left extra space for overflow in mine, just in case I add a frag tank or something else that would raise the water level.

- Ivan

garrettm
01/26/2017, 10:14 PM
Welcome to ReefCentral! You will find a ton of great information here. Tell us a little bit about your plans for the tank.

Ing
01/27/2017, 07:05 AM
Thanks for all the warm welcomes and quick responses!

Nice video Worm!

My plan for the tank is a mixed reef that will be medium to heavy stocked. I do plan to have a refugium and was looking at adding a DSB either remotely or in the refugium. The DT will have a thin layer of sand as well. My goal is a low maintenance and efficient a system as possible.

I have a 40 Breeder that I could tie into the system as well but currently I am limited to the space within my stand. I may end up building a new stand though as my current one only has 25 inches of height clearance inside.

Is there any benefit to having a separate refugium tank? What is the best way to tie them together? I would like to have good flow in the system but slow flow in the refugium. I know baffles will help this too.

RedStangGA
01/27/2017, 07:26 AM
I'll be using a 40b for a sump but will also have a 75gal refugium tied into it as well. The 75gal can and will act as additional overflow capacity for the sump.

worm5406
01/27/2017, 09:08 AM
Nice video Worm!

Is there any benefit to having a separate refugium tank? What is the best way to tie them together? I would like to have good flow in the system but slow flow in the refugium. I know baffles will help this too.

If you take a small pump and flow water into the refugium and let it slowly drain back into the sump, to then be mixed with the other water. It will let the nutrients be taken up and then the water returned. This way the refugium can continue to run even if the main display is off and being worked on. It would probably be best to return this water to the same chamber so that you don't have to worry about it going empty and burning up that pump.

That is if you made it separate, otherwise you would be up to the flow coming into the chamber and then back out.

Ing
01/27/2017, 12:57 PM
Well I got a deal at the LFS on a pre-built sump with refugium they were clearing out. So on to the next item on the list, a protein skimmer.

My dad has a Bubble Magus Curve 7 in his 135 mixed reef and it works great. For that reason I have been looking at the Curve 9. Any suggestions on a comparable skimmer that is efficient and quiet that is reasonably priced? I would like it to be rated for 300 gallons and up.

worm5406
01/27/2017, 01:07 PM
Look here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/search.php?searchid=20270818

See what that gives you. It is just an advanced search of the forums for "curve 9"

Ing
02/02/2017, 09:44 AM
Thanks again for the advice Worm! We've been pretty busy this past week but I think I am going to go with the BM Curve D9.

I did finally get a chance to clean up the tank. Next to build a new stand!