PDA

View Full Version : T5 or Radion G4 for 120 4x2x2

Jon532
01/26/2017, 09:49 PM
Just as the title says.... currently the tank is being lit by two Kessil A360 we and I'm not happy, the tank as of now only has fish and live rock but the looks aren't what I want.... so before this becomes a reef I have to make the decision between an ATI Sunpower 8x54 or the new radion g4s.
I've went back and forth a lot looking at different pics and opinions, however most of the posts are about older versions of the Radion and this new one seems to have fixed some of the spread issues that LEDS have.... soooo let's here it what do you all think? Also maybe some advice on mounting the ATI (if it's the way I go) that don't have it hanging from the ceiling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luvreefs23
01/26/2017, 09:58 PM
I just put 2 radion g4 pros on my 120 tuesday. They are so much brighter than past generations and ive owned em all

luvreefs23
01/26/2017, 10:00 PM
I had a 8 bulb 60" ati over a 250 years ago. So much playing with bulb combinations to get the color i like plus never seemed crisp to me.

Jon532
01/26/2017, 10:49 PM
I just put 2 radion g4 pros on my 120 tuesday. They are so much brighter than past generations and ive owned em all

Do you have a pic of your tank with them by any chance

kupadupapupa
01/26/2017, 11:06 PM
I would go for LED. I've had my 3 $100 Chinese black boxes running for 3 years and they've literally paid for themselves since no bulb changes required anymore.

I would imagine the Radions won't pay for themselves as most people won't keep them that long, but still the LED light is much crisper and cleaner looking then regular bulbs.

LQT
01/27/2017, 02:28 AM
What do you plan on having for corals in this tank?

eder10986
01/27/2017, 05:13 AM
Just as the title says.... currently the tank is being lit by two Kessil A360 we and I'm not happy, the tank as of now only has fish and live rock but the looks aren't what I want.... so before this becomes a reef I have to make the decision between an ATI Sunpower 8x54 or the new radion g4s.
I've went back and forth a lot looking at different pics and opinions, however most of the posts are about older versions of the Radion and this new one seems to have fixed some of the spread issues that LEDS have.... soooo let's here it what do you all think? Also maybe some advice on mounting the ATI (if it's the way I go) that don't have it hanging from the ceiling

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/f26bfece3b9cc04753dab6b89b8a6b7f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/28250015b9dca21f18541c58b86b5025.jpg

Here ours. Same setup youre considering. We used security camera mounts for the kessils. Mind you there was some minor,careful, and gentle drilling to the ATI fixture.

Otherwise we love how it turned out

luvreefs23
01/27/2017, 05:26 AM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x195/denman21_photos/FF4F4324-F246-4BF3-A019-DD81B96C096F_zpsrokcibme.jpg (http://s182.photobucket.com/user/denman21_photos/media/FF4F4324-F246-4BF3-A019-DD81B96C096F_zpsrokcibme.jpg.html)

That's with the same kessils you have as well. All the lights are at 40%, I was running just the kessils for a while but they weren't covering like I wanted. The kessils at 100% is like the radions at 40% alone

jda
01/27/2017, 09:35 AM
Decide what you want to keep. If a mixed reef, then I don't think that you can go wrong and might even suggest some less expensive panels like Photon. If want to have tank dominated by acropras, then I would go for the T5 unit and sell the kessils to offset the cost. If you want some of the easier SPS like montis, birdsnest, stylos and a few stags in a mixed reef, then you might end up with a few T5s to supplement your LEDs - most have.

Check people out who have a well-established version of the same tank that you want.

ktownhero
01/27/2017, 09:39 AM
If you can afford 2xXR30w Pro (G4) then I would do that and not look back. No clunky T5s that you need to control separately needed.

rtparty
01/27/2017, 11:24 AM
I would look into the GHL Mitras and Philips CoralCare if you want straight LED. The CoralCare can be imported for less than the Radion Pros and so far looks to be a better light. I had the original Radion and was was very unimpressed with it. I know a lot has changed since then but it was part of my LED failed experiment. I tried to use strictly LEDs for over 3 years and just never liked them.

I would highly suggest trying to find local tanks running both setups and see what you like. Just make sure you look at the overall look of the tank. Not just the corals because lighting only plays a part in coloration and health. Try to notice the shimmer (too much or too little?) and any disco ball effect. That is one issue I have seen with almost every LED unit, the disco ball effect drives me insane. Others don't even notice it.

nashorn
01/27/2017, 01:00 PM
I know many reef using Chinese led and t5 setup with great results.
I have the older gen radion and really like the sunraise and set feature.
Any light you choose don't expect results over night ...lol

Jon532
01/27/2017, 07:29 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/f26bfece3b9cc04753dab6b89b8a6b7f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/28250015b9dca21f18541c58b86b5025.jpg

Here ours. Same setup youre considering. We used security camera mounts for the kessils. Mind you there was some minor,careful, and gentle drilling to the ATI fixture.

Otherwise we love how it turned out

Are those the Kessil mounting arms you used to hang the T5 from? I asked my LFS about doing that and they didn't think they would hold the fixture

eder10986
01/28/2017, 05:11 AM
Are those the Kessil mounting arms you used to hang the T5 from? I asked my LFS about doing that and they didn't think they would hold the fixture

They are not. I used these below from amazing and rigged them to fit the kessils while carefully drilling/screwing into actual aluminum fixture. While most will cringe, as did I when I did it, it was the best idea I could come up with for a nice sleek look.

I thought about using the goosenecks to the sides of the fixture and just bending them to the appropriate angle but I just wasn't liking the look.

uxcell 1/4" Metal Wall Mount Bracket Black for CCTV Security Camera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008IDP2Y0/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apip_HLKyVHDC7RanR

eder10986
01/28/2017, 05:15 AM
They are not. I used these below from amazing and rigged them to fit the kessils while carefully drilling/screwing into actual aluminum fixture. While most will cringe, as did I when I did it, it was the best idea I could come up with for a nice sleek look.

I thought about using the goosenecks to the sides of the fixture and just bending them to the appropriate angle but I just wasn't liking the look.

uxcell 1/4" Metal Wall Mount Bracket Black for CCTV Security Camera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008IDP2Y0/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apip_HLKyVHDC7RanR

Sorry. I know what you mean now. This is what I used to hang the fixture.

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticLife_Stand_Light_Fixture_Hangers_(2_Hangers)_T5_Fluorescent_Misc_Accessories-AquaticLife-AK01210-FILTACFL-vi.html?utm_source=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=AK01210&gclid=CjwKEAiA1vjCBRDd-9q3w4OF6WUSJACWv_sVWwlWGqy5zg0h9RqYPBP8RgTmg1TGRDYD67duYGgq8hoCtfHw_wcB

Jon532
01/28/2017, 08:54 AM
Thank u!!! I'm thinking about buying the 36" t5 then mounting the kessils on each end like you have done.....
I still like the radions but not sure I want to spend that much on lights then have to still add some t5

eder10986
01/28/2017, 09:04 AM
Thank u!!! I'm thinking about buying the 36" t5 then mounting the kessils on each end like you have done.....
I still like the radions but not sure I want to spend that much on lights then have to still add some t5

If you have any questions if you undergo this project pm me and I'll gladly give you more details.

We had the kessils running at 76% prior to adding T5s. Now have them peak at 40%

Jon532
02/05/2017, 09:56 PM
What do you plan on having for corals in this tank?

I plan on a mixed tank... I don't want a tank of just one thing

JohnnyHildo
02/05/2017, 11:06 PM
leds are a hot commodity right now and it's tough to argue how they can make corals appear but the fact still remains that for coral growth you're going to see better results with t5.

kalare
02/06/2017, 02:19 PM
I do not believe you will be happy with only 2 Radion over a 120 once those SPS have grown and shade themselves. For guaranteed success, I'd go with T5. If you like sunset/color customization, radions will work, however I'd probably go with 3 minimum. I've yet to see a 4 foot tank with only 2 radions with large colonies of SPS that are not shading themselves and/or growing funny because of the directional light.

Jon532
02/07/2017, 08:54 AM
I do not believe you will be happy with only 2 Radion over a 120 once those SPS have grown and shade themselves. For guaranteed success, I'd go with T5. If you like sunset/color customization, radions will work, however I'd probably go with 3 minimum. I've yet to see a 4 foot tank with only 2 radions with large colonies of SPS that are not shading themselves and/or growing funny because of the directional light.

I think the new G4 is suppose to help some of that.... if I go Radion I'll start with 2 as that should be enough per company recommendations. However once coral grows in it they start shadowing I can always add more at that time

LQT
02/07/2017, 09:14 AM
For a mixed reef, you should be fine with Radions. If you were going full SPS, then T5s would provide the best coverage and growth. Even with the new optics on the Gen 4 Radions, the physical layout of the pucks will make shadowing inevitable in a SPS heavy tank.

Wazzel
02/07/2017, 09:22 AM
LED will do just fine for anything. I run a mostly SPS reef with LED only and can grow anything I want. Once you get growth you will get some shading with just two radions. You can start with three or design you light rack with expansion in mind.

Here is my 120 6 months after I upgraded from a 60 cube. Some of these pieces are 3 months shy of 3 years under LED only. They would be bigger, but the 60 cube was so packed for the last 6 months or so that nothing had room to grow.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other-2/120-build/i-fd8hQ5x/0/L/IMG_0975-L.jpg

LQT
02/07/2017, 09:42 AM
No question LEDs will grow anything. For me the only issue is the number of fixtures needed in order to adequately reduce shadowing issues in mature SPS reef tanks. Cost will play a big role in what is chosen.

Jon532
02/10/2017, 08:45 AM
No question LEDs will grow anything. For me the only issue is the number of fixtures needed in order to adequately reduce shadowing issues in mature SPS reef tanks. Cost will play a big role in what is chosen.

As far as costs go I've heard t5 are a lot more expensive in long run due to bulbs and power usage.... but does 8 bulbs really make that big of a difference on the electric bill.... seems like it would be minor to me

LQT
02/10/2017, 10:16 AM
I think the whole cost efficiency claims of LEDs are vastly over stated and over rated. In running T5s, including the cost of annual bulb replacement, it would take years to break even and recoup the costs of the proper number of Radions or other equivalent LED fixtures to adequately provide the same coverage that a T5 fixture would provide for your tank size.

jda
02/10/2017, 10:19 AM
Most people do their calculations assuming that they won't ever buy LED panels again, but it is rare to find somebody who has some that are more than three-four years old. I would use a 4-5 year lifespan of a panel in your calculations.

twon8
02/10/2017, 10:50 AM
IMO the t5 led combo is the best overall option. But if I had to go with one only it would be t5's

kalare
02/10/2017, 10:53 AM
Most people do their calculations assuming that they won't ever buy LED panels again, but it is rare to find somebody who has some that are more than three-four years old. I would use a 4-5 year lifespan of a panel in your calculations.

Yep, on top of that, LEDs are what I'd call a "tech" item. Most people that like those types of items like NEW those types of items!

LEDs, like phones, computers, TV's...all last a decent amount of time. But I bet most here don't keep phones for 5 years. You're going to want that new WiFi, color options, control options, new lenses...just look at all the folks turning in their G3 pros for G4s in the classifieds.

Wazzel
02/10/2017, 11:21 AM

If you use comparable quality, proper number of panels and a 4-5 year life span the cost to operate T-5 vs LED is really not much different. Depending on what specific fixtures you choose to use in your cost evaluation matters also.