PDA

View Full Version : 35 gallon cube lighting set up

Seaweed Brain
01/27/2017, 01:54 PM
So I'm in the process of starting up this tank and have gotten most everything together that I need. I was originally set on LEDs and was going to go with the hydra 26. But I keep thinking of doing a halide setup with a reefbrite strip. would a 150w halide be sufficient for the deep blue 35 gallon cube with a 15" XHO reefbrite? I'm planning on doing a mixed reef but with many zoas and palys. I posted this in the nano section too but then thought it might be a good idea to post here. I'm trying to maximize color and growth. this would be a first for me if I went the halide route. what is everyone's recommendations? Thanks.

Hentz
01/27/2017, 02:17 PM
Any route you go, you'll have success with the proper water parameters.

That being said, I've never had "true" experience with Metal Halides. My experience with them have been running a simple 150w Current fixture over my old small Biocube which last a very short time.

Though I've had lots of experience with LED's which have treated me both bad and well, with a learning curve.

I run LED's now and I absolutely love them. In particular, the Hydra 26HD. I've ran them previously on my SPS dominant tank with success before moving to ATI T5. Only reason I moved, is I was having internet connection issues, my router being completely at fault.

Now that I downgraded, I went back to Hydra 26HD's! My SPS have always bloomed and grown/colored completely well!

My advice, shoot for the Hydra 26HD's. Though I have not had much experience at all with Metal Halides, I've had such great experiences with the Hydras.

zsuman101
01/27/2017, 03:12 PM
Metal halide ls the best lighting i have ever used. I would however use at minimum a 250 watt over your tank, and would still use t5 also. good luck

Seaweed Brain
01/30/2017, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the advice! I'm still leaning towards the halides. And I think I'll be doin 150watt only because I have the old solona disco ball halide kicking around. I'll see how it treats me and then go from there.

Hentz
01/30/2017, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the advice! I'm still leaning towards the halides. And I think I'll be doin 150watt only because I have the old solona disco ball halide kicking around. I'll see how it treats me and then go from there.

Daaaaaang, that disco ball is a classic!
Some people really didn't like them. I've always thought they were cool and retro lol.

rtparty
01/30/2017, 10:36 AM
I vote halides 100%. If you can make halides work for your setup (heat, little more energy, bulb replacements) then I would do it in a heartbeat.

Seaweed Brain
01/30/2017, 12:54 PM
Daaaaaang, that disco ball is a classic!
Some people really didn't like them. I've always thought they were cool and retro lol.
LOL yeah I sortof like the look of it. Eventually I might go with a new one if it works out well for me, but that would only be if I decide to build a canopy. Right now I'm going with an open top.

Also I definitely need a new bulb and from what I've read 14k is a good one to go with.