PDA

View Full Version : Help. Question about Petco water getting into my tank.

Mr.Shrimps
01/28/2017, 02:04 AM
I bought some snails from petco (I do not buy fish there). While I was acclimating them the magnet holding the bag fell off and the cup of water went into my sump. Does my system now have copper? Will my corals suffer?

Ogi
01/28/2017, 02:45 AM
Copper kills inverts and snails, highly unlikely that there would be copper in that bag

mjstech
01/28/2017, 05:02 AM
Unlikely as they are not allowed to dose copper, there is risk of ICH though. Depending on your store (good/bad) of course.

Ron Reefman
01/28/2017, 05:04 AM
It's never a good idea to add other people's water to your tank, but that said, it happens a lot. I wouldn't want Petco water in my tank either, but if it happened, I wouldn't be concerned. Especially if it was only a cup full. Remember the solution to pollution is dilution.

ericarenee
01/28/2017, 10:44 AM
It's never a good idea to add other people's water to your tank, but that said, it happens a lot. I wouldn't want Petco water in my tank either, but if it happened, I wouldn't be concerned. Especially if it was only a cup full. Remember the solution to pollution is dilution.

I WOULD not want anything from a Petco Tank in my house much less in my tank..

Op QT Is your friend and i think a MUST if your buying from petco

good luck

gone fishin
01/28/2017, 10:59 AM
What is done is done. I am of the understanding Petco does not use copper or any other additive. IMO the only thing to do now is to take a wait and see approach. Good luck just my 2 cents.

Sk8r
01/28/2017, 11:03 AM
Copper is poisonous to inverts: I doubt they were using it. If you have any worries, run a strip of PolyFilter: if it turns ice-blue it's absorbing copper.

ca1ore
01/28/2017, 11:20 PM
While I don't add LFS water to my DT (though I do with QT), it's really nothing to worry about. Just about everything that'd be in a bit of water is on the inverts anyhow. There won't be copper in the water, though even if there were, the dilution from a single cup would render it moot. That aside, having polyfilter on hand is always a good idea.