PDA

View Full Version : DD clam in very little water

laga77
01/28/2017, 01:41 PM
Here is a photo of the Hippopus clam I received yesterday from DD. As you can see, there is barely enough water to cover the clam on the inside. It is oblivious that at some point in the journey, it was out of the water. I have just sent an email to them asking why they ship like this. I told myself I wasn't going to order clams from them because the last 2 did not make it. But I never see a Hippopus locally and the clam put the order into free shipping. I have other clams in my tank so keeping clams is not a problem for me. The clam has just started to open up so I really can't see how it is doing. I`ll post their reply when/if I get one.

laga77
01/30/2017, 01:47 PM
Typical corporate response:
Thank you for your email to Live Aquaria. We sincerely apologize for the condition in which your clam shipped. We will be forwarding your picture and information to our aqua culture facility for review. We ask that you keep us updated on the health of the clam. Thank you for choosing Drs. Foster & Smith LiveAquaria for your live aquatic needs. You are a valued customer and we look forward to hearing from you in the future. Clam is opening up a little ,but looks like some gaping.

MondoBongo
01/31/2017, 07:25 AM
is the clam still alive?

i'm in the same boat as you, i want a hippopus, but they never come up locally and i am reticent to order from LA/DD since the other clam i ordered from them died within a few days.

for the record i've ordered fish and they've come in fine, it just seems their clams don't ship too well. =\

laga77
01/31/2017, 08:11 AM
As of this morning he is still alive. Here is a photo of him last night. There might be a little gaping at the upper left of shell. It is hard to tell with these clams because their mantle does not extend past the edge of the shell like others do. I received a call from LA last night and was told they will extend the warranty until 2/17 because of the low water level. He stated they need to leave some space for air. I said this was not the first time I have received a clam like this and they need to add more water because clams are not like fish, they can get stuck in the bag during shipment and come out of the water and the last two from them died in the first few days. I told him to check my order history to back up what I said. This clam is 3.5" FYI.

NYCBOB
02/01/2017, 06:32 AM
It doesn't look good from the picture. It should be more open.

laga77
02/01/2017, 08:10 AM
It doesn't look good from the picture. It should be more open.

You mean like my other clams? I agree.

laga77
02/02/2017, 09:00 AM
The clam was dead this morning. Now I have to call DD and yell at them for their poor handling of clams.

NYCBOB
02/02/2017, 11:42 AM
Sorry to hear.

rsepiphyte
02/02/2017, 12:05 PM
What a shame. Sorry for the loss and hope that your complaint may help them correct their shipping errors.

MondoBongo
02/03/2017, 08:11 AM
ah that sucks. sorry for your loss. :(

laga77
02/03/2017, 08:19 AM
What a shame. Sorry for the loss and hope that your complaint may help them correct their shipping errors.

That is why I posted. They are always very quick to offer a refund but I feel the refund should be unnecessary if they took more care. The last email I sent I posted a link to the thread started by NYCBOB in this section and told them to check their reputation. We`ll have to wait and see if it does any good.

NYCBOB
02/03/2017, 02:57 PM
i dont think they will do anything in regard to adding more water. for every 1 clam that liveaquaria refunded to their customers, i am sure there were 10 that made it.

jimmy n
02/14/2017, 08:47 PM
I've had poor luck with hippos from dd.