PDA

View Full Version : Multiple tanks with 1 Apex

drew930
01/28/2017, 09:07 PM
Hey guys, looking to monitor my tank with an apex... I've had one before but not on multiple tanks. Im also looking to monitor my 2 QTs and possible a future frag tank....

What do I need? Just a Pm1 or Pm2 , Temp, and Ph probe for each additional tank? If the QT's are close to eachother, can they share an EB8?

Can I create a separate module on dashboard that might say Quarantine or Frag Tank?

Thanks

Breadman03
01/28/2017, 09:36 PM
I have a PM1 monitoring my QT temp, but nothing else. As I streamline my system, I'm just going to rename my QT outlets with QT to differentiateZ from there, just organize the layout in your dashboard or Fusion so it makes sense to you or a tank sitter.

drew930
01/28/2017, 10:36 PM
Okay so basically everything will add another outlet? Just name is QTFishHeater or whatever it is? Can't really organize it by tank?

drew930
01/29/2017, 08:30 AM
Just read something similar on the Neptune forum.... was said that you can have them set up as different tanks, but would have to get extra base units instead of PM1.

Maybe instead of having each tank separate, I could have a base unit for Main and a base unit for QTs. Then distinguish those by adding Fish or Coral to the outlets so I know what which is .... base units have 2 ph ports correct, but would still needs one more temp probe port.

So an extra base unit seems more organized but a little more expensive route.

ca1ore
01/29/2017, 11:44 AM
I run three tanks off a single base unit; not sure why you'd need multiples. I run three temp probes, one off the base, a second off PM1 and a third off PM2 (temp probe is on the tank that uses cond obviously). The PM1 is connected by a long aquabus cable and in turn connects to an EB4 that is close to the remote tank.

drew930
01/29/2017, 01:44 PM
Okay, so just one base unit is needed.... But now trying to figure out if the Pm1 or Pm2 would be better for the QT tanks. What do you think would be a more important probe for QT? I guess probably just the PM1 so I can use the PH probe instead of orp and conductivity...

ca1ore
01/29/2017, 04:16 PM
I had used a PM1 for my QT, but actually wished I'd used PM2, since adjusting salinity is part of the QT process (if done right :))

drew930
01/29/2017, 04:45 PM
so pH is more important on your display, and for QT, its probably more beneficial to have the Pm2 and monitor temp and salinity, rather than temp and ph?

If so, ill go with that. Be nice if the had a probe module that just allowed 4 extra prob ports!

Breadman03
01/30/2017, 08:00 AM
so pH is more important on your display, and for QT, its probably more beneficial to have the Pm2 and monitor temp and salinity, rather than temp and ph?

If so, ill go with that. Be nice if the had a probe module that just allowed 4 extra prob ports!

I'm looking to add a PM2 to my QT because my LFS has lowered their salinity to near hypo levels and I'd like a bit more control over my acclimation.