PDA

View Full Version : Preventative parasitic treatment for newbee

Maine932
01/30/2017, 11:04 AM
Hi, I am new to the hobby, so new the red sea tank has not arrived. My biggest fear is introducing Ich, Marine Velvet or Brooklynella (sp) to the tank. Is there a know process to rid all rock, sand, fish, coral or any invertebrate I plan on adding? I have scoured the internet and have received 3,000 sound steps, and 3000 rebuttals to those steps.

Sk8r
01/30/2017, 11:26 AM
Read the stickies. The anti-ich precaution is called TTM. My own recommended procedure is to simply observe one new fish over 4 weeks in a bare glass tank, feeding and quieting him after his capture, until you have NOT seen him break out in spots, but if you want a more proactive program, TTM will assure ich is not in question.

anthonys51
01/30/2017, 12:27 PM
your biggest fear. i wouldnt worry to much about it ich velvet and other dieases, dont lose any sleep over it :) read the stickies and most can be avoided, but you will lose fish and coral regardless of how diligent you are. i would say most people lost up to 75% of the fish they buy to other things besides old age, especially when new to hobby. even experts will lose fish, some species are harder to keep then others.. just read the stickies and take everyone advice with a grain of salt and try to use what best for you. unfortunately trial and error comes with this hobby, but some things can be avoided

Sk8r
01/30/2017, 02:12 PM
As a general rule, the fish's water should be the parameters in my sig line---if you don't have tests for those things, you need them. You should follow the procedures up in the stickies, be careful about salinity, as many shippers use 1.019 and our tanks are generally 1.024. This difference can kill. Read the sticky. You keep that water at those readings 24/7 and you shouldn't have great difficulties.

anthonys51
01/30/2017, 04:23 PM
yes the number one thing i get when i tell people i have a saltwater tank is, isnt it so hard to keep. i tell them not really, same principle as freshwater tank, just saltwater fish arent as forgiving to mistakes and neglect as freshwater fish

xanthurum
01/30/2017, 05:17 PM
QT is my answer to just about every question.

anthonys51
01/30/2017, 05:37 PM
fish die in qt, plus dont fish die after they go through qt. qting isnt a magic pill, it is just one of the things we use in this hobby to ensure healthy fish. but its not the only tool we have. that is all i am saying. if i was to give a new person advice i say qt your fish, i just don't do it.

ALLIDOISREEF
01/30/2017, 05:45 PM
Do your research and do what makes sense for you. Some of the treatment and QT methods can be difficult to accomplish when you are new to the hobby. Just be patient and take your time.

anthonys51
01/30/2017, 06:29 PM
do your research and do what makes sense for you. Some of the treatment and qt methods can be difficult to accomplish when you are new to the hobby. Just be patient and take your time.

neiltus
01/30/2017, 07:37 PM
When I started after a 20 year break it took me 6 months before fish was in the display. First worries should be cycling the tank. Set up a QT, buy one or two fish at a time, and prophy them based on what you think the best practices are after reading the stickies.

Not all fish are QT the same way. Going to use CP...make sure there are no issues with the fish you bought.

Go slow. Read. Learn. Be patient. And don't put an 8" tang in a 10 gallon QT.