PDA

View Full Version : Looking for skimmer recommendations and to buy a used one for new 420g display/550tv

dthorn
01/31/2017, 07:44 AM
I am looking for suggestions on skimmer options for my new 420g mixed reed. I would like something that is going to work great on what I plan to be a heavily stocked system.

I would love a vertex alpha 300, or a bubble king supermarin 250/300 but budget is a big concern. Because of this, I would also like to know some budget skimmers that will do the job until can afford something better.

Let me know what you think and message me if you have something that will work for me at a reasonable price.
Thanks!!

fishfreak2009
01/31/2017, 04:55 PM
I have a Reef Octopus 6000SSS skimmer and I love it. It's running my very heavily stocked and fed 380 gallon with 150 gallon sump. I pull a full cup of dark nasty sludge twice weekly and water is crystal clear. I also change 150 gallons or so once weekly. I have around 80 fish in the tank.

slief
01/31/2017, 08:26 PM
FWIW, Alpha 300 and or the SM300 are both too large for your display plans regardless of what the specs say. I had an Alpha 300 on my 480g display and even when it had a legitimately heavy fish load, the Alpha was never consistent because it was oversized. I toyed with the idea of the SM300 as a replacement but the reality was that it to would have been oversized and inconsistent as a result. I ended up with the SM250. That was more than 2 years ago and I couldn't be happier. Now my system is over 700 gallons between the main display, sump, refugium, display refugium and frag tank. There are over 70 fish in it and I still wouldn't go with either of the two bigger skimmers. Just thought I would throw that out there to get those 300 sized skimmers out of your mind. You are far better off with a properly sized hard working skimmer than an oversized skimmer that hardly has to work. Especially when it comes to hose models since they are very conservatively rated and have very large neck diameters that require far more dissolved organics than most realize in order to keep the neck full of foam consistently. Heck, you could keep your eyes open for a Supermarin 200 or even a Deluxe 200 and would be happy as can be as either of those two would keep your dissolved organics as low as any other skimmer you could find regardless of size and regardless of your load. If money is an issue which it sounds like it is, look at Lifereef skimmers. They are great skimmer and won't break the bank. Just be sure to choose a quality pump because that is the weak point in most skimmers when it comes to getting the most out of the skimmer and also from a longevity standpoint.

dthorn
02/01/2017, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the replies! Slief, your response was exactly what I was looking for. The bk sm250 was at the top of my list and I was also considering the alpha 300. I may be stuck with what I can find for now or may even buy a bubble magus curve b11 since they are only 400 new while I save for the sm250.

If i get really lucky I hope to find a good deal on a used one. Sounds like you are due for an upgrade.... my budget concern is due to this not being a planned upgrade. I got a great deal on the custom made brand new tank so I had to jump on it. Staring at it every day is making me want it up and running bad.

If i can find used, or budget equipment to get going I may go that route knowing that everything will need upgraded later. Of course it would be much smarter and cheaper to save slowly and get everything I want the first time around but then I'll be waiting 4 to 6 months to set it up. Champagne taste on a beer budget as my mom always says.

Thanks again for the reply!!

fishfreak2009
02/01/2017, 10:45 AM
I got my Reef Octopus 6000 SSS for $655 brand new shipped including shipping. It wasn't a bad price at all. Shop around, put an add up on Facebook, and the Private messages will start pouring in.

King Jason
02/02/2017, 06:35 PM
I went w/ a Lifereef VS3-48 for my 400 build.

Easttuth
02/02/2017, 06:41 PM
I have a Bubble King 300 external for sale and I'm in Pennsylvania often so you could save on shipping

Malign Reefer
02/03/2017, 07:10 AM
LifeReef SVS3-36 for sure!!

Cuzit
02/04/2017, 04:47 AM
I have a lifereef 36 you can buy , running a mag 18 ... pm with offer