PDA

View Full Version : Kessil H380 Halo II

MMacro
01/31/2017, 12:28 PM
I have a new kessil H380 coming in this thursday to hang over my 20g display fuge. Are there ant particular macroalgaes that don't do well under these, if any?

Michael Hoaster
02/01/2017, 08:15 AM
Sounds like a sweet light. I'm sure it will work very well.

Macros don't generally fail do to poor lighting. They fail do to a nutrient limitation. If your fuge is connected to a low nutrient reef tank, the chance for nutrient limitation is high. If you are running a calcium reactor for your reef, the plants will enjoy the CO2, which is their preferred form of carbon, and the most important nutrient. If you have fish and you feed them, you will have plenty of phosphate. Nitrogen is usually very low in reef tanks, so it is likely to be limiting to your plants, so you may want to dose potassium nitrate, which is sold as stump remover. I have heard of reefers dosing nitrate to help color up their corals, so doing this shouldn't be too big of a stretch. Lastly, trace elements get removed quickly in closed systems, so a trace element supplement is helpful. Iron is the most important of the trace elements.

Sorry I rambled a bit. I hope it's helpful.

MMacro
02/01/2017, 09:59 AM
Sounds like a sweet light. I'm sure it will work very well.

Macros don't generally fail do to poor lighting. They fail do to a nutrient limitation. If your fuge is connected to a low nutrient reef tank, the chance for nutrient limitation is high. If you are running a calcium reactor for your reef, the plants will enjoy the CO2, which is their preferred form of carbon, and the most important nutrient. If you have fish and you feed them, you will have plenty of phosphate. Nitrogen is usually very low in reef tanks, so it is likely to be limiting to your plants, so you may want to dose potassium nitrate, which is sold as stump remover. I have heard of reefers dosing nitrate to help color up their corals, so doing this shouldn't be too big of a stretch. Lastly, trace elements get removed quickly in closed systems, so a trace element supplement is helpful. Iron is the most important of the trace elements.

Sorry I rambled a bit. I hope it's helpful.

Thanks for the advice!
I don't have a calcium reactor but my phosphates do run a bit high most of the time. I wll look into dosing potassium nitrate and trace elements.