PDA

View Full Version : How much to feed Blue Spotted Ray

Sounds Fishy
01/31/2017, 04:10 PM
I acquired a Blue Spotted ribbontail stingray about 10 days ago and put him in a 220 gallon set up especially for it.He has a preference for protein enriched Mysis cubes.The disc is 10" approx. I plan to keep him in this set up ,only till it grows up, then move it to a 300 gallon.My question is how much Mysis should it eat in one day.I give about five cubes of P E Mysis,a day...but I am sure it wants more(It would eat double that amount).I am limiting it to this amount because, this is introducing large amounts of waste into the system. My question is,is this a sufficient amount of food to keep it healthy?It would be nice to only feed it alternet days,but it has such a big appetite now.It hasn't moved on to different types of food yet,but that will happen ,I am hoping.
PH 8.3 , KH 11 , Ammonia 0 , Nitrite 0 , Nitrate 10 , Phosphate 0 , Mg 1350 , Calcium 410 . I am running gfo and bio pellets,and a large skimmer.
Since acquiring this specimen I has done a 30 percent water change ,and approx. 8 gallon water change,daily to keep the parameters stable.It appears very healthy.

Dmorty217
02/01/2017, 09:37 AM
Best indicator of health is if the ray puts on weight. If it is putting on weight then it's getting enough food, if you see it getting skinny then you need to feed more

Sounds Fishy
02/01/2017, 10:04 AM
I appreciate your advice.To be honest I am happy it eats well,as it does,I am amazed by how much it is capapable of eating.So far it looks about the same as when I purchased it,so it is hopefully satisfied,with 5 cubes a day.
I am trying to get it to accept a diversity of food but the PE Mysis is the only thing it truly likes eating right now.I can maintain a very good water quality with the present bio load as long as I maintain the daily water changes,and don't increase the amount of food being offered .

alprazo
02/01/2017, 07:01 PM
Initially I would feed to satiation daily. Then every other day to every third. These little guys can expend a lot energy in the beginning until they settle down in their new environment.

Sounds Fishy
02/02/2017, 01:23 PM
Initially I would feed to satiation daily. Then every other day to every third. These little guys can expend a lot energy in the beginning until they settle down in their new environment.

Alprazo,I tried your advice this morning,and let him feed till he was satisfied and he has been in his little cave resting,since.He ate about 7 cubes of P E Mysis this morning,before the lights came on.I dispense them only one at a time,to make sure they get eaten before it gets the next one.Initially I had to bury each one in the sand,but now , that isn't required ,as it is too impatient to wait for me to do that.Thank you for your tip.

XIONGGOTSTYLE
02/03/2017, 07:12 AM
These guys eat a lot.