PDA

View Full Version : six line wr..***...

Spslvr
02/01/2017, 08:13 PM
ive had a six line now for around 4 years hes largely a peaceful fish....largely
about two years ago I added a potters angel, the six line harassed and beat him to death over a few days, since then I have added another potters of similar size and the wrasse never batted an eyelid also a regal and xanthurus angel, chromis, cardinals, hogfish, scorpions, pipefish, filefish etc no problems two days ago I added two png polymnus clowns, the wrasse has taken a dislike to and is beating the hell out of em ive managed to catch one but the other is to smart..... suppose my question is why these fish...

sarens
02/01/2017, 08:22 PM
what size tank?

Spslvr
02/01/2017, 08:27 PM
20 gal

Spslvr
02/01/2017, 08:34 PM
just playin with ya! its a 220g and tank size is not the issue, but I appreciate the response.

tenurepro
02/01/2017, 08:50 PM
Because he is a wrasse-hole!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenurepro
02/01/2017, 08:52 PM
Seriously though, I had a similar situation where a six line bullied some but not all new additions. I caught him and returned to LFS after a year... got a canary wrasse to replace him and never looked back

j_mazzy
02/01/2017, 08:56 PM
because six lines, in general, go crazy one day. You just happened to add them on a day he was nuts.

In the wild, the offending fish could swim infinite distance away and the squabble would end. not so here.

Spslvr
02/01/2017, 08:57 PM
mabe ill have to do that, I just thought it strange he would kill 1 potters then completely ignore another one even though they were the same size, it cant be the species he took a dislike too, it must have been the individual fish? and why the clowns, they are not exactly a threat....

Spslvr
02/01/2017, 08:59 PM
because six lines, in general, go crazy one day. You just happened to add them on a day he was nuts.

In the wild, the offending fish could swim infinite distance away and the squabble would end. not so here.

little wrasse syndrome lol

j_mazzy
02/01/2017, 08:59 PM
little wrasse syndrome lol

seriously

arashsheikhpoor
02/02/2017, 06:14 AM
I've heard that they are a huge pain

Cliving1
02/02/2017, 06:25 AM
I would get it out for the sake of all future additions.

Spslvr
02/02/2017, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the input, im really looking more towards opinions as to what people think makes these wrasse target certain fish, im not asking what i should do...

pinnatus
02/02/2017, 04:18 PM
Maybe the new fish had a birthmark....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PQkiwaUGKNY/T0vBCmkkLZI/AAAAAAAABPM/PkcIkC39dvk/s1600/BummerOfABirthmark.jpg

tenurepro
02/02/2017, 04:20 PM
Re. Your original question. There is a lot of intraspecific differences in behavior WITHIN a specie. There are also lost of differences in an individual's behavior that is caused by the environment. So true there are some generalizations that could be made about some species/individuals being x, but in reality it is often x +/- some level of variation. So perhaps one of your angels did something a bit differently that the wrasse took exception to? Got to close? Occupied his favorite hole in the rock? Got a bit too curious... difficult to know what exactly. Not not animals of a certain species behave in the same way, and not all individuals exhibit the same behavior constantly. That is what makes behavior so interesting to study!

Spslvr
02/02/2017, 04:34 PM
Re. Your original question. There is a lot of intraspecific differences in behavior WITHIN a specie. There are also lost of differences in an individual's behavior that is caused by the environment. So true there are some generalizations that could be made about some species/individuals being x, but in reality it is often x +/- some level of variation. So perhaps one of your angels did something a bit differently that the wrasse took exception to? Got to close? Occupied his favorite hole in the rock? Got a bit too curious... difficult to know what exactly. Not not animals of a certain species behave in the same way, and not all individuals exhibit the same behavior constantly. That is what makes behavior so interesting to study!

that's more like it lol....
it is interesting, the funny thing is the fish that he has decided to harass had just hit the water.....haha....talk about a rush to judgement:spin1:

for all the wrasse knows these clowns could be decent individuals he didn't even give them a chance......

ReapWhatYouSow
02/03/2017, 12:07 PM
I have a similar wrasse-hole problem in my 150. 4-5 year old six line wrasse HATES all clowns. As soon as you place them in a bag in the tank he will attack the bag trying to get to them. Even if the clown the is bigger then he is. He also doesn't get along with other wrasse but that is more common.

Spslvr
02/03/2017, 04:30 PM
ive never attempted another wrasse I always assumed they don't play well with conspecifics but clowns surprised me

rookie2reef
02/04/2017, 11:12 AM
I always thought six lines were to aggressive especially when they get comfortable in tank, had two and had to take both out for doing same thing great for pests like bristle worms but to aggressive

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

ca1ore
02/04/2017, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the input, im really looking more towards opinions as to what people think makes these wrasse target certain fish, im not asking what i should do...

I think you probably know that the answer is that there is no clear answer. Maybe the fish that got attacked tried to invade his space, versus the others that did not. Six lines are not my favorite fish because they are unpredictable aggressive. Had my fair share of wr*******s; even had a Boorish Idol one time :lmao:

mlew
02/04/2017, 10:24 PM
This is purely anecdotal, but six lines are mind bottling crazy. I've had a few over the last 10 years and could never predict what type of fish would set them off.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

lacybiker2000
02/05/2017, 08:10 PM
Wow, (crossing fingers), my 6-line doesn't bother anyone. I've got a 55 cube with a coral beauty, 2 blue cleaner wrasses, a yellow clown goby, a foxface, a blue hippo tang and a pair of occellaris clowns. The blue tang and the foxface gang up on the coral beauty a little, but once I have my larger tank set up this should stop. However, the 6-line is one of the more peaceful inhabitants.